Need help with windows XP PC problem!

ez at nova

I hate rice
I need some quick help guys so I don't have to physically beat my little bro. I have Windows XP Pro on my main desktop here at home. Everything was fine with it, and my brother went to install something that called for drivers, ended up finding my XP Home edition disc that came with my Dell laptop, and popped that in. God knows what happened next, but he finally ran to get me when the PC was at a blue screen as a final confirm of installing Home over my XP! It said I could hit F3 to back out, to which I gave a sigh of relief and did. Now, when the machine boots, it shows a message that it is looking for the Windows setup CD in the drive then says "Failure" (I removed it) then goes to a dual boot screen. I can choose
1. Windows XP Pro
2. Windows XP Setup
If I select 1, it boots my XP, but things are screwed up. I am running on about 4 colors and can barely see anything. Things seems slow and just not right. So, my main questions are:
1. how can I remove that dual boot so it resorts to my old XP, and
2. how can I get it back running/looking normal? If I go to Properties on the desktop, all I can select is 4 bit for colors!

I tried editing boot.ini after typing msconfig at the Run prompt. I could SEE the offending windows setup boot but I don't see any option to delete it!
I also don't see any "advanced options" that will help me when it gives me the option of hitting F8 at the dual bootup screen.
Thanks!

You could probably use the System Restore option on XP to back date the computer to a time when it was running correctly.
Go to:
programs
accessories
system tools
system restore.

Ah, i wish it were that easy. The windows deamons are smarter than that though. When i try it it says "can not restore system" after it messes with me for a few minutes making me think it works.

You'll have to get that pirated copy of XP that you loaded from in the first place and use it to fix your problem. You can re-install or try to let it fix itself once you have the right disc.

Personally, save important stuff, and reload.

Thanks for the advice. The issue has been resolved. I am back to having my original Pro working fine. I had to edit the boot.ini to get rid of the dual booting, then just reinstall video drivers to get my screen looking ok again.