Need help with transmission not shifting

adzmcss

Hello I've posted here a couple times before about my car's problems ( and there's a ton of problems)..Well now I've fixed alot of things on this car but the main one that's really really bugging me and I cannot figure out is the tranny! It just doesn't want to shift out of first gear...I've tried to read alot about certain things that could be causing this but with no luck

To sum the car up, so that you no where it's coming from..It's a 87 Turbo T,..K It was my brother's first car like way back in 2001...he wrecked it in the front pretty bad and at the time it was just sitting, so he sold it to another close friend who fixed it and repainted it..but he had this crazy plan to totally restore it with the frame off n all that..But he never got around to it because of too many other projects and money issues.. So it always just sat in his garage all torn part with parts n bolts everywhere..(he was not very organized at all)..And then about four years ago I got him to sell it back to me this time..I told him that he would have to put it somewhat back together before I took it...What he did was lifted the body off the frame to replace the body bushings and to repaint the frame and whole chassis a flat black..When they did this they did not remove the motor, they just had the motor lifted high enough from a cherry picker and they had the body on another cherry picker..this sat like this for at least a year haha..So when I actually brought it to my house it was missing the driveshaft and the body was just sitting on the fame, same with the motor too..(because of lost bolts)..This guy had all the bolts to the car just in a mcdonald's cup not labeled or anything on a table close by, And through the years he had it sitting, the bolts and certain parts just disappeared..haa

So when I finally bought I had to replace a ton of stuff and also I had to figure out where everything went..It was literally like putting a very hard puzzle back together..This year I've put allot of money and time into trying to get it all back together so I can finally drive this dang thing..

I got it started and the car runs pretty good... I think! haa. I know that when we tried to put the motor parts all back together we broke most of the hard vaccum lines..And I seriously do not know where they go at all..And I don't even know if I even got all the vacuum hoses in the right spots...So there's one of my main concerns right there..And the main one is the transmission not shifting!.. About last month I tried to test drive it for the very first time..the car was idling pretty good even so with the known vacuum hose problems,and also there's a huge exhaust leak..It's a big gash where the Y pipe is..anyways when I reversed the car down the driveway everything went smooth and then I put it in drive and slowly accelerated and it just stayed in first gear....I've been playing around with the tv cable but I'm just not sure i'm actually doing it right..I'm just not sure what else to do??

Please help me out! I'm thinking it's something little and not major..How would I tell if the tranny is shot?

uhh I never tried that..I dont have the shifter cable hooked up so I have to shift the car through the column..It's kinda hard cause I have to grab it with two hands haa..Should I go n test drive it again? this time start in first then shift it to second...I actually tried putting it in first gear the very first time I drove it..But I didn't think it was a big problem at that time...I even stopped and put it in second and it still drove fine