Need help with tire tize for 17" rims

corey331

TR noob
I'm new to the Turbo Buick thing, so I need some help. I have a 87 GN that I just bought a set of 17" Billet Specialties Street Lites for. The fronts are 17x7's with 4" BS and I am probably just going to run a 235/45/17 on those. But my main question is on the rears. I got 17x9.5's with 4.75 BS. I see most people run a 275/40/17. But I want something with a little more meat. How wide and tall can I go without having to modify the car. I don't mind rolling the fenders since I am re-painting the car next month anyways. Can I go as wide as a 295 or 305?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

Look for some new drag radials-new sizes available for 17", i think one is 275 x 50 x17.

mickey thompson et street radial is the best ive come across. 275/40/17 looks good and decent traction. just my .02

Yeah I had MT Drag radials on my telstars I just sold and loved them, but the 275/40 doesn't look like big enough of a tire, and the 275/50 look too tall. I think I am just gonna go with a 285/40 Nitto 555, and then maybe buy a set of welds to put some sticky's on.

nittos seem to be a popular choice. i havent tried them myself. i have 17x9.5 in the rear and now im wondering like you originally posted how big a tire we can go on the back. i even thought of widening the rim to an 11 incher. ultimately id love to be able to sqeeze in like a 325 on the rear.

Yeah, I want to go as wide as possible in the back. I am going to mount the rim on the car and do some measuring and go as big as possible!! I'll be sure to post pics when it's all done.

Yeah, I want to go as wide as possible in the back. I am going to mount the rim on the car and do some measuring and go as big as possible!! I'll be sure to post pics when it's all done.

same here. tho im pretty sure if you want to go much over a 300 youre probably looking at getting the frame notched. have you checked out the official sticky where guys are showing off their wheel and tire combos? theres some really nice setups in their. and def post pics!

Yeah, checked out the sticky. Some very sweet set ups in there, but it hard to tell who has notched and who hasn't. I can't wait to get them on though(not sure why, we have 12" of snow on the ground).

Didnt care for the nitto drs,M&H , MTs, or Hoosier drag radials are some of the best ones-i heard the Hoosiers really hook well.

I run 275/40r17's rear on 17x10's - 4.75 B.S. with rolled fender lips. I don't think you could go much more than a 285 without a frame notch. :biggrin:

I would think the285 nitto would work...reason being that nitto runs narrow and a 275 MT is MUCH wider than a nitto 555 275. I know, that's my old setup.

Cool, thanks. I did a lot of measuring, and it seemed like the 285 would fit. At least I hope so since I already ordered them!!

A friend of mine is running 285 x 40s x 17 on his t type on torque thrusters with bfgs g force tires-fit perfect.

Post up some pics when you get them mounted, it's the size I'm looking at as well.

Will do, both wheels and tires are on their way here. It might be a week or two before I get the pics up due to the 18" of snow I have on the ground..... The car doesn't leave the garage when its like this..... Why do I live in Ohio again?

Just an update, finally got the wheels and tires here and mounted. The rear 285-40-17's fit absolutely perfect!! The rims look sick on the car. I am going to get it out of the garage today and snap a couple of pics to post.

Well, i went to use my camera and apparently it has decided to take a crap on me. So the best I could do was a pic with my iphone. pictures don't do the wheels justice, they look bad ass in person!! And the fit is perfect. Now I just need to lower the car a little bit..

photo.jpg