Need Help With Spider Gears!

RKHiPerformance

Turbocharged Sex Cylinder
While swapping the axles and brakes in our 8.5" rear, the top and bottom spider gears fell out of position. This occurred while we were adjusting the rear brakes with the axle shafts & cross-shaft removed.

How are these spider gears reinstalled? I removed the S-spring but there was still insufficient room to manuever the top and bottom spider gears into position.
I removed one of the side spider gears (ring gear side) and it still seems as if there is not enough room to reinstall the side gear if the top or bottom gear is in place, and vice versa.
Also, when I removed the side gear, all of the clutch plates and spacers came with it. :eek: Other than the fact that they alternate (large locating tab & no locating tab), is there anything else I need to know about their orientation upon reinstallation? Should the small tabs on the sides be staggered?

I'm in a bit over my head here. The car is apart and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick

I'm alittle rusty on rear diff assemblies. I do remember that I always wear the oldest clothes I have. The stench of sulfer doesn't wash out (sulfer is the EP additive).

Anyway, on to the diff: the plates in the sides are every other one. One keyed to the carrier housing, the next keyed to the side gear. Put those back into place while the spiders are out of the way. I know the 12-bolts have a holder between the tabs and the carrier, not sure if the 8.5" also has those.

Once they are in then move on to the spiders.

The spiders are a little tricky, but not too bad. If they had washers behind them be sure you have both of them. Sometimes they will stick to the back of the gear. Pull them off so they are out of the way.

The trick is to feed a spider into the side gears and rotate an axle to spin it into position. Helps to have a tire on the axle, can place your foot on it and turn it as the spider gear is fed into place. IIRC I would spin the one right into the location where the cross pin would be.

Then un-spin it enough to feed the other spider gear in, then spin it back into the proper location. This takes both spiders into the proper location. This 'spinning' is done with the axle.

Place the cross pin through the carrier and spiders, if it went in then good. Otherwise the spiders are not properly located. With the cross pin in the carrier can be rotated, just make sure the pin doesn't slip out. You can take a beather once this far.

Now for the washers that go under the spiders: rotate the carrier for access, pull the cross pin out enough to slip a washer under a spider gear. Push cross pin back. Then do the same for the other spider gear with the cross pin pulled out in the opposite direction.

During this you can rotate the carrier a little. But not too much. As this will rotate a spider gear out of location. Once everything is in place slip the cross pin retaining bolt in and leave it loose. Rotate and axle while double-checking that the spiders, washers, and side gears are all OK.

Then move on to the plates & springs. Hope this helps.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Thank you!

:) This is exactly the type of response we were hoping for...
We got the rear axle back together this afternoon and the car is back in action.

Thanks very much,
Rick & Kristi