Need help with oiling on 4.1 engine

ds4545

Just completed building a 4.1 and we cannot get any oil flow to the drivers side of engine. We have 80 lbs of oil pressure and oil out of the pushrods on the left side, faceing the front of the engine. There is oil at the left rear plug on the engine but not out of the right side rear plug. The plugs are threaded on the rear of the engine and I plan on using one to feed an oil pressure gauge.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am not sure what to check first.

Did you use a front cam bearing with the groove milled around the outside like the one TA sells? The other option was to use a cam with the front journal groove milled into the cam. The 109's used grove milled into the block along the inside where the cam bearing gets mounted but the 4.1 didn't have this?

Originally pre 1986 Buick cams had the groove on the cam,which feed the driver's side. 86 & 87 blocks (109's) the groove was in the block under the cam bearing and this is what feed the driver's side lifters and so they didn't need a grooved cam or cam bearing to provide a channel to feed the driver side.

81374d1251759106-new-cam-bearings-wtf-cam-005.jpg

One question, I'm thinking all the comp cams have a groove in them correct? So how does a 109 keep good oil pressure with a groove behind the bearing and a groove in the cam? I could never figure this out?

I'm not sure about all the comp cams but the one I got from Full Throttle (I believe it was a comp cam) didn't have the groove. I had to buy the TA cam bearing with the groove to let the oil cross to the drivers side with my 4.1.

I don't think having a second path for oil with both the groove in the block and the cam would cause too much of an issue once both grooves are filled with oil. You might get a little less oil flow to the cam however because of the second path through the block might divert some of that oil away from the cam.

Don

simple fix

Just completed building a 4.1 and we cannot get any oil flow to the drivers side of engine. We have 80 lbs of oil pressure and oil out of the pushrods on the left side, faceing the front of the engine. There is oil at the left rear plug on the engine but not out of the right side rear plug. The plugs are threaded on the rear of the engine and I plan on using one to feed an oil pressure gauge.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am not sure what to check first.

As stated, the 4.1 block does not have a groove behind the # 1 cam journal to allow oil to flow to drivers side oil galley. I assume you have one of the new cast roller cams which does not have a groove in the front cam journal which will do the same thing. If you don't want to disassemble the engine (to groove the block or change front cam bearing) tie the 2 oil galleys together @ the rear of engine. You can use 2 - 1/4 in. NPT to 3/16 tubing ells--point the ell fittings down--use a piece of premade--12 in. long brake line (double flare)--hand bend it into a 180 degree loop-- all this can be bought @ NAPA--if you want to get your oil pressure there then you will need to add a T. I like to get oil pressure there---to most people it is tooo much trouble. Be carefull of the flexplate hitting any of the plumbing you just installed. This will work great. Best of luck.

Thanks

I would like to thank everyone for the response on my oiling problem. I am trying to get the parts together to tie the two oil galleys together like LOT suggested.

Will the front cam bearing still provide the proper lubrication to the cam with the 3.8 cam bearing?

It sure is great to have this avenue to pick the brains of all you experts. Everyone sure is helpful evertime I get in trouble and ask a question.

Thanks again,
Doug

I think if you also go too deep into the block with the galley plugs you might cut off oil flow.