Need help with code 43 and engine not staying running!

mikeandjen

:mad: Hey guys,

I put in the motor I had bought from Chris and hooked everything up....put the new bearings in and each was clearanced at .0015 with plastigage....

However, on startup the car built about 60psi of oil pressure and then shortly after throws code 43....esc failure/engine noise.

So to diagnose this is what I have done:

Changed knock sensor with a new one, and the one of my other motor which had no issues-still same code and car shuts down

Checked the ESC module and tried a new one.....same code pops up after resetting computer and shuts down:mad:

checked the wires at the ESC module and has ground continuity, power to the correct wire and also continuity to the purple wire at the knock sensor.....what am I missing guys?

If the ground was not on the motor I wouldn't have ground at the ESC so rules that out........

Could the motor really be making that much noise to set this off? It doesn't seem to be running rough per say, firing in the correct order, just as soon as the light is set off pulls about 14.4 degrees of timing on the scanmaster and starts running like crap:mad:

I can't keep the car running long enough after the timing is starting to be pulled to check anything else, the tps is good and in range, iac seems a little high, no other codes are coming up on the scanmaster.....

HELP! PLEASE!

Mike

what kind of voltage are you getting at terminal B7 of the ECM with the car running? it should be more than 6V. if less than 6V, there could be a problem with :
1) the ECM
2) the connector at the ECM or
3) the wiring between the ESC module and ECM.

additonally, is it possible that the engine has a roller set-up that's making enough noise to trigger the problem?

bw jones

It looks like there is more than 6volts going to the ECM,

If I unhooked the knock sensor.....what else can cause 14.4 degrees of timing out of the motor and the check engine light code 23? Theoretically if the knock sensor is unplugged shouldn't it not pull timing, eg) thats how they diagnose grounding out the circuit.

Is there something else which monitors knock also? I have done searches and haven't come up with anything......

Help!

Thanks
Mike

according to the service manual ....... if the voltage at terminal B7 of the ECM reads greater than 6V, the problem is caused by either a poor connection at ECM terminal B7 or a faulty ECM.

additionally ....... the cause for a code 23 (low MAT sensor reading) is typically a defective MAT sensor or faulty ECM.

the common denominator of course is the ECM. i would replace the ECM with a known good unit and see if the problems go away.

give it a try & let us know.

bw jones