Need Help With Car Overheating

thepremier

I am having an overheating problem with my car, it overheats very quickly whenever I am stopped in traffic or if I just have it idling.

I doesn't overheat whenever I am on the highway, or at 45+ mph speeds.

I noticed that my fan doesn't work anymore, it doesn't come on at all, so I am thinking that it may be a big reason why I am epxeriencing the overheating problems. The fan used to come on after driving my car and turning it off, but it doesn't do that anymore either. Could that be a bad fan delay relay?

The radiator is a stock radiator, and I have the single fan (but it doesn't work at all). If the fan isn't working, would that be a problem with the wiring harness, or would it be more than just the harness that needs to be replaced?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Run the fan directly to the battery with some jumper wires to see if it will come on. If so, you know the fan is good. If it will not come on, you know the fan is bad.

You must have a fan while idling. When you are traveling down the road at 45+, the wind blows across the radiator to cool the fluid passing through it. When you are idling, there is no air flow and the fan compensates for this. The relay is to trigger the fan to come on at certain temps and go off at certain temps.

Keep us up to date, you definately don't want to blow a HG!

Tap into or disconnect the wire going to the fan switch on the intake (1 wire sensor) manifold and send it to ground with a jumper wire or use a "T" pin and probe it into the wire. If the fan turns on the switch went bad (Benoitthegr8 had this problem).