Need help with brake job questions on my Liberty

ez at nova

I hate rice
I began replacing the front pads on my 02 Liberty last night. I only had time to do the right side, but figured it was no big deal because the car won't travel much in the following 20 hours until I can do the left.
I did the left tonight and now have these concerns:

1. All 4 of the new pads were sealed in a Mopar box together. Tonight, I noticed both pads I had remaining had a black metal sort of "pin" or "clip" looking piece on one side of them. That means that NEITHER of them that I put on the right had it. In addition, NONE of the pads I took off had this piece on them. Anyone know what the deal with this is?

2. After installing the left tonight I went to test everything out. Stopping power was TERRIBLE even backing out of the driveway. The pedal was floored and I barely slowed from 5 mph. Stoping going down residential streets at 15 mph was not pleasant either. When I got on the pedal hard, the right front would lock and the left would not. I figured maybe this was due to the right pad having a day to "degalze" or break in, whereas the left was too new. I drove about 10 miles and did many slow and hard stops. At first, only the right would lock. (The roads are wet so it sort of aided in harmless momentary locking, and this is obviously a NON ABS jeep) Then, finally, I was getting both sides to lock sometimes. The vehicle does not seem to pull to one side or the other when braking. Could my theory be correct of "breaking in" the left since the right was a day old? It SEEMS better now, but i'm not 100% sure.

3. Tonight, the RIGHT front (the one done yesterday) started to make a "squeak" sound when the brake pedal is RELEASED. It doesn't do it when just cruising or applying the brake. Is this because I didn't use anti-squeal stuff on it? These pads look like they had a teflon strip on the back, so I didn't think I needed it. Any idea as to what the noise is? I wonder if some spray-on squeal stop liquid would work if I took the wheel off and sprayed it around the piston area. I really don't feel like taking the caliper off and pads out again. Or, could the problem be something else besides the piston on the back of the pad?

Thanks,
Jeff