Need Help - Wheel alignement settings for new style "camera" eqipment

Jan Larsson

Ok, so please read carefully so you all get this right :)

The wheel alignment places in this country (UK) have moved away form the traditional laser wheel alignment equipment (where you put a sensor/electronics) on each rim then aligned the front end and compensating for thrust angle etc.

These days they use a camera equipment and only put a flag if you like on each rim (so no sensors and no electronics attached to the car/wheel at all as the cameras do all the work) and this means they need initial data for the rear end settings (toe and camber) to be able to set the thrust angle and do the front wheel alignment correct (per my settings for toe,camber,caster).

So the BIG question is what should the toe and camber values be for them to enter this into their computer for the rear end?

And yes I know we don't adjust the rears as it's a stiff axle but they need these values as it's the reference for doing everything else (so they don't use it for any rear end adjustment but need it to have a fix for the thrust angle etc.)

So if any of you guys work with these new camera (so not laser style) wheel alignment equipments what is the values for the rear end for a 1989 Trans Am??

Even if the machine is US made there's no data in their computer for the 1989 TA's .....

So any help would be much appreciated as I need to get the front end aligned after my rebuild.

I think you need to find an "older" alignment Tech thats been doing this for years. Locally there is a shop that has a 30 year old alignment machine.. my alignment has never been better. The old guys use to aligning cars 20 years ago.. have no issue setting up these cars. new kids just out of school.. better run.

HTH

alignment specs

Jan, i have done alignments for 30 yrs. On 99.9% of solid rear axle vehicles, the toe and camber settings are fixed and are set to 0 toe and 0 camber. The thrust angle is 0.25. When the machine is set up to do a 4 wheel or thrust alignment, it aligns the front to the rear settings to prevent crooked steering wheels. Just tell them to do a 4 wheel alignment and set the specs on rear on 0 and you will be fine. Hope this helps.