need help w/kill switches

Me too.

My hood is taking a beating from all the open and close cycles - I need a better way.

Just thinking about a conventional alarm system for both the GN and the Hayabusa.

B5 purple/wht. for a kill switch.

Can't use the fuel pump relay wire at the ECM location to kill anything if you still have the pressure switch hooked up to the front of the motor the car will still start right up usually once it hits 4psi. of cranked oil pressure.

Do a search there's a long thread with lots of good ideas in it from a couple of months ago. :cool:

I cut my ECM wire under my radiator overflow bottle and ran the wires to a toggle switch under my seat. When u flip it the ECM is dead and the car will not start. To see my handy work you have to unbolt the overflow and actually see the wires where they are rerouted to. Just looking under the hood everything looks stock and untampered with. The wires are run in plastic loom.

I seem to recall someone saying the ECM requires 2 wires to work....the orange, which is a memory (right???) and another wire that I believe runs into the fuse block and then on to the ECM. Anyone know which color/gauge wire it is?

...but that wipes out the computer every time you flip the switch

Yeah, I know that but in my case I only use it when I park it in my garage after I drive it. I know its a little PITA to reset my TT chip but I dont mind. I only drive the car once or twice a month. The car is NEVER left in a mall parking lot or anywhere for that matter. Maybe outside at a friends house or a car show. My switch is a little extreme for a daily driver...just thought I would let everyone know how I had mine done.

I use the orange wire as well & the computer relearns in about 30 seconds. Worth the grief of a stolen car IMO.

Best Option for last

Fifteen years ago I spliced into the starter line. Put a $2 Radio Shack rocker switch in the plastic panel along side of the rear seat but below seat level so it can be felt but not seen. Kills the starter, easy to reach unobserved when leaving the car. Another person did the same but disabled the cigarette lighter mechanism and set it up so that when the lighter was in, the switch was thrown and the car would start.
Lastly, a number of years ago, Kirban sold a switch with a relay. To operate the relay and close the switch, a circuit needed to be connected and he recommended two screws of your choice that when you touched both, would complete the circuit and close the relay.
Of course, none of these stop the tow truck so I recommend that you garage the car. One person at a show told me that in one case, they broke open the garage to get the car so I also recommend that you have your wife sleep in the car. It is my thinking that if they get my car, they also get my wife as well, so it is not a complete loss.

Man I hope there are no thieves reading these boards. :eek:

Thieves already know all the tricks except for the amateurs.

The best protection is to keep the car locked up in a garage and have multiple anti-theft devices such as kill switches for fuel and/or ignition, alarm, gps/lojack, steering wheel lock, brake pedal lock, column lock, etc.

With Turbo Regals being somewhat rare today and parts skyrocketing, it's probably not a great idea to use one as a daily driver.

Nevertheless, nothing is going to stop a tow truck from getting your car, so it's best to be vigilant and not leave the car unattended. It's crazy but this is what it takes to keep our cars today.

Frank

Is it worse for our cars do you think? Or would you think they're also stealing pre 1972 muscle cars at the same rate?

Is it worse for our cars do you think? Or would you think they're also stealing pre 1972 muscle cars at the same rate?

I think it's worse for our Turbo Regals because more of them are being used as daily drivers. 60s and 70s muscle cars are usually crusier cars or used only for car shows or the drag strip and not as a daily driver but there are probably exceptions. This is not to say that some old muscle cars have not been stolen. The price of MOPARS is in 6 and 7 figure market.

It will be very intersting to see what the price of these cars will be when the new Challenger and Camaro start hitting the dealerships.

Nevertheless, if u want to keep your car, I would seriously consider having it locked in a gargae and using it as a weekend car only and NOT as a DD.

Frank