need help tuning

jsta6

John 15:17
I have done a lot to my GN, and now I just got Turbolink and I want to tune it. I need a little help getting started.

My mods can be found here:
http://personal.mia.bellsouth.net/m...shawnco/gn.html

How do these numbers look:
IDLE:
IAC index 35 # 13 %
LV8 (Load).... 49 #
TPS volts..... 0.46 V
Integrator.... 121 #
O2 volts...... 636 mV
Mass Air Flow. 7 GPS
Block Learn... 109 #
O2 delta cnts. --- #
MAP/Boost....14.0 INHG

WOT:
IAC index 68 # 26 %
LV8 (Load).... 255 #
TPS volts..... 4.56 V
Integrator.... 128 #
O2 volts...... 707 mV
Mass Air Flow. 195 GPS
Block Learn... 128 #
O2 delta cnts. 0 #
MAP/Boost.... 8.0 INHG

I am getting a lot of knock during WOT runs in the lower gears, and REALLY REALLY A LOT of knock during WOT runs in overdrive on high speed cruises on the freeway (moving it from 75-100mph)

TIA

Your fuel system looks up to snuff but you appear to be a bit lean. What fuel pressure are you running?

In case you didn't get my email:

A couple quick observations, I'll look at it more in depth later ...

-You need to up your fuel pressure ... it's leaning out quite a bit.

You also have the TurboLink Preferences set for boost sensing, but you don't have a boost sensing harness hooked up (8 In/HG).

MAF is really low for WOT.

Thanks for your replies guys.

Sorry, Ken, I didn't get that email. Weird thing about the boost sensing option. I was sure I turned that off. I must have set it on by accident somehow.

Sorry to say that I do not have a fuel pressure gauge. I do have an xp fuel pump, 009's, red 93 chip, adj fp reg, and alchy. The fp was set to whatever the "standard" is; 36? or 43? or something.

These readings were taken BEFORE the hot wire kit for the fuel pump. I just did that last night. I will try to take new readings and get back to you. I am assuming the extra 1 1/2 volts to the pump will fix it.

I did think that the MAF #'s were low at times. I have a 9" K&N open air filter and polised MAF pipe. I have some duct running from the front of the car behind the grill, to right in front of the filter.

I also plan on removing one of the MAF screens, the one AFTER the sensor.

If you want it to "remember" the setting, you have to exit the program (not just shut off the computer).

It saves the settings when you exit via the regular menus....

thanks Ken. I was booting from a floppy, and not my PC, and so my saved settings were overwritten.

Ok, I made another run. I can now say that my knock is GONE!

Unfortunately, I was very short on time, and I don't know if it was the hot wire kit, or the fact that I upped the alchy pump speed by two clicks. Sorry I didn't have the time to work on that one.

Here are my numbers before the run at idle:
IAC index 57 # 22 %
LV8 (Load).... 63 #
TPS volts..... 0.46 V
Integrator.... 116 #
O2 volts...... 675 mV
Mass Air Flow. 8 GPS
Block Learn... 110 #
O2 delta cnts. 8 #
Man. Air Temp. 120 °F

During the run at WOT:
IAC index 57 # 22 %
LV8 (Load).... 104 #
TPS volts..... 3.48 V
Integrator.... 128 #
O2 volts...... 753 mV
Mass Air Flow. 101 GPS
Block Learn... 128 #
O2 delta cnts. --- #
Man. Air Temp. 108 °F
Again, I don't know what is up with my MAF #'s. I did get a code 42 at the end of this run, but I think that was a fluke.

IAC index 45 # 17 %
LV8 (Load).... 47 #
TPS volts..... 0.46 V
Integrator.... 120 #
O2 volts...... 664 mV
Mass Air Flow. 8 GPS
Block Learn... 109 #
O2 delta cnts. --- #
Man. Air Temp. 120 °F
and
IAC index 47 # 18 %
LV8 (Load).... 50 #
TPS volts..... 0.46 V
Integrator.... 126 #
O2 volts...... 308 mV
Mass Air Flow. 8 GPS
Block Learn... 108 #
O2 delta cnts. 21 #
Man. Air Temp. 122 °F

SUMPTIN WRONG??

The TPS volts are WAY low for WOT. 3.42? Should be near the previous runs you posted. [4.56]
As for relying on the hotwire to correct the FP problem.. don't. get a gauge on it and check it at idle and at WOT. Adding the alky will only cover up the knock... Get the FP RIGHT first and avoid a disasterous intro into the DOTC!!

Don't see your boost setting in the posts.. How much??;) ;)

Thanks Chuck.

I noticed the TPS was low also. That was the highest it went during the run. I will make another run tomorrow just to make sure. BTW, I did adjust my TV cable after the first post...could that have anything to do with the TPS being so much lower?

Stupid question alert: most fuel pressure gauges I have seen are in the engine compartment, near the requlator. How can you tell what it is at WOT? Run it up near the windsheild wipers?

I am using a stock wastgate. The boost doesn't go past 15.

FP??'s

If you adjusted the TV cable, then the throttle is not opening all the way, thus the low TPS reading.:eek:
The "standard" procedure is to push the lock clip in, push the cable hsg all the way in toward the firewall, step on the pedal to full WOT, [NO floormats in the way!!] and the TV cable will ratchet out to proper length. It may have to be adjusted in or out another click for final adj.
HOWEVER: I find that the above is not always gets the cable out far enuf and the throttle is not wide open. Check for WOT, if it's not, open the blade by hand by pulling the throttle on the side of the T/B to FULL open.
Once that is done, adjust the TPS to about .42V closed and 4.50 open.

As for the FP gauge. Get a GOOD ga. and a line long enough to tape the ga. to the W/S. The Schraeder valve is a -4AN fitting size.
1# of FP rise for every # of boost rise!!:D :D