NEED HELP TONIGHT, how to drag race with a Grand Am GT? lock converter?

V6UnderPressure

The Artist FKA Scott4DMny
Ok, to make a long story short, I was selected at my work to take part in this NHRA bracket drag racing experience out here at route 66. It takes place using all grand am GT's that they provide. I am trying to get help here as to what the best launching technique is for these automatic transmissions. SHould I hold the brake and rev it to a certain point and then when the last yellow gos, just release the brake??? Also, can we lock the converters on these things with a paper clip like the GN. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Scott

I assume these are new Grand Am's? Being OBDII you cannot lock the converter with a paperclip. Also being wrong wheel drive you are not going to be able to power brake it alot. Air down the front tires to maybe 25psi or so. Maybe check out ClubGP.com and search their archives for launching advise.

if it's bracket racing don't rev it up at the launch. Just nail it and go. You'll be the most consistant that way. Don't manual shift just let it shift itself and leave everyhting like AC and radio off. Remember it's about consistancy not the time.

I thought the Grand Am was R.I.P. :(

They should have provided GTO's for everyone to thrash. :cool:

Anybody know what newer Grand Am gt's run in the 1/4? My wife's is a 03 and it doesn't feel all that quick..