Need help (throttle cable)???

turboculosis

Pleasant peasant
Not sure what to replace or adjust. On my father's Gn the tps won't go back to .42 where I set it at idle. This only happens when the gas pedal is applied and let off normally.At this point the idle climbs and tps is at .52:eek: and sucks if your trying to stop at a light. The only way to bring the tps to .42 (where I set it @ idle) is to press the gas slightly and let it snap back w/ a quick release. Once snapped back, the tps is back to normal .42 and iac (hot) is at 19-20 where we set them both at. I also noticed that the gas pedal is harder than normal, which is another thing that throws me off...I'm not sure where to start. Is it possible that the throttle cable is pinched somewhere?...TIA:redface:

Yeah I would look under the hood and make sure that the cable is not sticking or bound up first.

Yeah I would look under the hood and make sure that the cable is not sticking or bound up first.

Everything looks ok from the throttle linkage to the firewall. I'll have to check the backside of the firewall and under the dash. Thanks....

Is your T/B clean? Also check your TV cable, Somehow mine backed in a couple of years ago and the car wouldnt go full throttle. Is the TPS sensor itself sticking?

Everything looks ok from the throttle linkage to the firewall. I'll have to check the backside of the firewall and under the dash. Thanks....

I would try and work the throttle with your hand and see if it hangs up and work from there, might just need a little lubrication.

OK. Finally got the time to try to fix this. As far as the cable being pinched or binded, all looks ok. I even tried putting a known good tps sensor (from my car) just to get the same thing. I tried adjusting the TV cable and got one click, but the tps issue still there. It's definitely internally something wrong with the throttle cable itself. I tried lubing the cable also and that didn't work. I'm convinced it's the cable itself maybe the wrong one? As this car was restored off the frame by the previous owner. How hard is it to replace the cable? What part # am I looking for? Again thanks for alll the help. We appreciate it!!!:cool:

Have you checked the throttle shaft for wear? Have you checked the cruise control cable, T.V. cable?

Update...

It ended up being a bad seal on the TB. I disconnected all cables and see if it would bind, and yup it binded with a slight release, and stuck the TPS voltage to .52. From there we were sure it wasn't the cable. So we sent it out for a rebuild. Put it all back together and runs fine. Sorry for the delay but it took a while to get the TB back. Thanks for all the input guys. you guys are the isshh.:cool: