need help thrasher 92

moe

I have just installed my thrasher chip. I went for a drive, the car sounds like it backfires under the hood when boost starts to come on stong.I have fuel pressure at 45psi. I have done most of spring cleaning. The car also was working fine before chip change.The car is stock other than fuel regulator,chip,adjustable wastegate.I do not have scan tool yet.

thrasher

Do you have new fuel pump, as the stocker isn't going to make enough pressure. You realy need a scan tool and check to see if fuel pressure rises with boost pound for pound. Thrashers need a lot of fuel. Also what boost level?

You sometimes have to drive a few miles for the computer to learn the chip.

What is your boost? The Thrasher will command more boost than the stock chip and if you already had it turned up you may be too high. Do you know what knock sounds like? Are you getting any bfore the popping?

Set your iac and tps. Instructions are on gnttype.org. May not be your problem, but my Thrasher worked much better after those adjustments.

I was thinking that the Thrasher should be 42 psi, but maybe it was 45. Check to be sure.

You certainly should get a fuel pump, scan tool, boost gauge and other basic mods to support any performance upgrades. I would think that the stock pump would be OK with the Thrasher at 16 psi and lower. Mine was, but it only had 22K miles on it at the time.

Double check your chip install. Make sure it is in evenly and fully.

Clear your ECM. I don't know if driving around and letting the chip/ECM learn about the car will make a difference, but it won't hurt. Not a reference to the post above, it was posted while I was typing.

Good Luck,
Tom

I do have new boost gage and with stock chip 14 psi. With the thrasher the problem happens before I get to 14psi. With gradual accelleration I can feel it barely missing and then it falls on its face at not even half throtle.I will check the other adjustments as suggested.

Glad to hear that you have a new boost gauge...but you also need a strong fuel pump, with the pulsator removed. As previously mentioned you also need to put a fuel pressure gauge on there and verify that frul rail pressure is increasing 1 psi for every 1 psi of boost.

Thrashers are designed to work best with a mostly stock setup and 2 barometric pressures above atmospheric (i,e, 14.7*3 = 44.1 psi).

Falling on its face under boost is usually the fuel pump. The added fuel pressure requirements along with the fact that it commands a lot more fuel under boost than the stock chip will make it more apparent.

The fuel pump should always be #1, with chips and mods coming after that.

Thanks for the information,I did have a fuel gage on to set the regulator ,but did not check under boost. I figure my next purchase will be a walbro 307 or 340 looks like they are very popular with the members on this board. I will let you know my results.