Need Help-test Pipe Vs. High Flow Cat

GogglesPisano

hey everyone,
any ideas on using a test pipe vs. a high flow catalytic converter? not too sure which direction to go with this one!
all ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
fred

After I passed emissions I took off my cat,bought a spare hi-flow cat gutted it and put it back on the car just in case of a visual inspection.:D

A test pipe is the way to go. Even though a high flow cat will only rob maybe 5hp, it will slow down spool up. Plus race fuel will destroy a cat.

High Flow Cat Vs. Test Pipe

Hey Thanks All,
So To Sum This Up, If I Can Get Away With Using A Test Pipe Its Better. So Am I To Assume That It Does Offer Some Performance Value As Well To Use?
Fred

With a test pipe you're going to have a stinky exhaust but you'll get used to it - it'll smell like victory.

Test Pipe Vs Cat

Thanks Freeeboost!!

"i Love The Smell Of Boost In The Morning!!! It Smells Like....victory!!!"

Wasnt That From Some Movie????

Boost in the morning makes me feel happy!! Boost at lunch, and Boost for dinner.
most doctors recommend a high octane fuel and boost diet as good supplements for a healthy life.

hey everyone,
any ideas on using a test pipe vs. a high flow catalytic converter? not too sure which direction to go with this one!
all ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
fred

The question to be answered is: Are you planning to run leaded gas? :cool:

With a test pipe you're going to have a stinky exhaust but you'll get used to it - it'll smell like victory.

I have a test pipe on my GN and the exhaust smells like the engine is burning rich. Is this a normal smell or do you think I have something else going on? Car runs great.

Test Pipe Vs Cat

The question to be answered is: Are you planning to run leaded gas? :cool:

HEY JERRYL,
GONNA STILL USE STANDARD 93 OCTANE FUEL. NOT ONE TO RACE MY CAR BUT AFTER OWNING IT FOR ITS ENTIRE LIFE JUST DECIDED AT THE AGE OF 43, ME, NOT THE CAR HAHA, WANTED TO STEP IT UP A FEW NOTCHES. AND WHATS WITH ALL THE KIDS AND THEIR IMPORTS ANYWAY?!!
FRED

Fred- A test pipe is always better than a CAT. The real issue is your states' air pollution testing rules. You need to pass your states emission rules. Do some research and be aware that TT makes an emission chip. I got lucky because my IL govenor (POS) exempted all 1994 and older from emissions testins until there is a change of title. Take care- Brad

test pipe vs cat

hey Brad, fist of all happy thanksgiving, secondly in nys we are supposed to have catalytic converters in all counties that do emissions testing. fortunately in my county it is safety inspections only. we are not tested for emission. yeah! but i have been told by friends of mine who work for the county that its 5yrs off but coming. if need be, i'll but eric's emissions chip.
anyway good to hear from you again. always a pleasure. by the way i bought the tps calibrator enhancer, and heard a lot of mixed ideas on it, but i love the way it works in my car. all she wants to do is pull.
Fred

.......... fortunately in my county it is safety inspections only. we are not tested for emission. yeah!

Fred,
In this case, get the test pipe and spend the $$ from the cat on a PAC and crank the boost. :cool:

FWIW, the car passed Houston Emisssion testing with a std TT chip with flying colors.