Need help making decision. Keep stock trans cooler or not?

LIVE4RDO

Hey crowd.

So here is my situation. I just ADDED a B&M tranny cooler (70268 Super Cooler 13,000 BTU). I had it plumbed in line with factory cooler.

Now, I have my bottom fitting on the factory radiator leaking. I'm being told (by a very knowledgeable person and who I trust) that after doing all labor in removing the radiator and fixing the leaky fitting, there is no guarantee, but rather good chance that it will still leak because even though my radiator was re-cored, side tanks are 28 years old.

So, do I:

1) bypass factory transmission cooler, and stick with just B&M? And maybe eventually save up to get Alradco set up.

2) take a chance and do (pay for) labor to try to fix it?

I don't know if it matters, but I also have Hughes deep oil pan.

The car is in NY and being driven on street and very rarely drag strip. I'm planning ahead for my move to FL, where it's bit warmer.

Thank you.

Fix the leak, run the external cooler AND run it through the radiator...13000 btu's is barley average for cooling for a 2004r and just by it self wont help much for street driving, I run a 30000 btu cooler plus through a 3 inch aluminum radiator and my temps in NY are 150-170...but you gonna get a lot of opinions on this so hold on to your seat lol...

I run the 16,000 BTU by it self with no problems. There is no right or wrong way on this. it depends on climate and driving also.

Fix the radiator and keep the radiator trans cooler especially if the car is going to Florida.

I would absolutely fix the cooler in the radiator and run it. Liquid/liquid coolers are much more efficient than liquid/air. And they work when the car's not moving (stop and go traffic when the converter is generating heat). If your coolant temps are kept in check,the cooler in the radiator is doing more for your trans than the aftermarket one.

If the radiator isn't repairable then bite the bullet and get a nice aftermarket radiator or even a cheap f body radiator would still be a step upward

Would the alradco radiator w/ coolers provide sufficient cooling alone? If memory serves your running a slic and a pretty tight converter so those 2 things are in your favor, maybe sell the b&m and put towards an alradco?

The factory radiator cooler is not enough for a stock transmission by itself. I always use the radiator plus an aux. As a starting point I use a 24000 aux on every lock-up transmission. For non-lock I use a 30000 aux cooler. Now this does depends on climate and driving conditions. The trans being too cold can be a bad thing also.

The Alradco is still not enough cooling for the transmission, you will need an aux. cooler.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me...