Need help- low blms

baby6

One Fast Buick
Ok, so this problem has occured just recently. My blms have been acting really funky. No matter what I do (adjusted FP, adjusted translator, changed maf, checked grounds, checked vacuum lines, changed plugs, troubleshooted injectors/plugs) and i can not get it to budge. cruising, my blms are at 115-116 (they used to be almost always at 128, ranging from 125-129). When i let off the gas and let it drift, the blms will go to 124-128 until i come to a stop and they drop again. when i first start the car, the blms will be at 128 and then slowly drop to the high to mid teens in the BLM range. very confusing. at WOT, they go to 128. the oil has a slight hint of gas, and its starting to tick on the passenger side when cold and that is NOT good. my mods are .020 over forged pistons, 160 stat, maf translator with 3" maf, walbro 340 w/ hotwire, 60lb injectors, 204/214 cam, running low boost. PLEASE help out guys, i am getting worried about my motor here. i know that its almost in range, but its not, and the motor has not acted like this before.

The ticking sound maybe an exhaust leak (cracked header).
I believe that causes the ECM to think the mixture is lean and dumps more fuel to try to correct it.
Hence, the low BLM readings..

Malfunctioning EGR can also screw with the BLMs..

A loose or split air hose will also do that but scgnx2 is probably right ,sounds like an exhaust leak.

The ticking sound maybe an exhaust leak (cracked header).
I believe that causes the ECM to think the mixture is lean and dumps more fuel to try to correct it.
Hence, the low BLM readings..

Malfunctioning EGR can also screw with the BLMs..

NOPE!! Pre turbo exhaust leaks and vacuum leaks cause the BLM to go UP, not down.

EMC is pulling fuel below 128.

Your getting a little extra idle fuel. Not enough to douche the cans and contaminate the oil.

What are your translator settings?

My translator settings are set at 10% lean at idle, and at WOT i have it set at 0 (which is no changes). I have messed with all the settings on the translator. My fuel pressure is set at 42 static, and I do indeed have an exhaust leak pre-turbo (crossover flanges) but as the other guy stated, that will make the blms run up, not down. It is also a very small leak, the turbo spools great. this problem has just started recently, and my oil DOES smell a tad bit like gas, so it is contaminating the oil a little bit. i dont know where to look anymore, the vacuum lines run back behind the passenger side fender and that is the ONLY place i have not looked yet, and they look to be a PITA to get at. I just read what you said about the vacuum lines causing the blms to go up. WTF could cause my blms to go down then?????? weak spark? not enough air? its definitely boosting fine.

In case you don't get over there, here's my reply to your post on the other board....

Well, first of all, have to clear up some misconceptions....

There is NO
idle setting in the Translator. There is a BASE knob which adjusts the entire
fuel curve, and there's a WOT knob (self explanatory)

DIP switches
set correctly?

Based on what you tell me your BASE knob is set to
4, correct?

Setting your BASE richer like that sends more fuel into the
system, and of course the BLM's try to maintain stoic air fuel ratio so the the
BLM's will go DOWN to remove the excess fuel.

Try setting
your BASE knob to 5. But make sure to reset the ECM so it can re
learn

You also made the statement "At idle,
the mafs are running a little high, AND fluxuating (between 6 and 9) but i
promise you thats not the problem
" I don't understand how you can make
such a statement??? A high reading MAF will cause more fuel. More fuel will
cause lower BLM.

Here's an article I wrote some years back to help
people better understand how BLM and INT work. I recommend reading it.

Block Learn
Multiplier and Integrator

Thanks Dave, you're right. I did put another MAF in though, and it did not change the situation. I will mess with the translator again tomorrow and see if i get different results. But as far as ive seen, the blms drop to 115-119 no MATTER WHAT, ive even unplugged the maf and other sensors and it drops to those numbers almost immediately after the car drops to idle. could an intake manifold gasket or plenum gasket leak cause this?

No, not due to a leak. A vacuum leak would help bring the number up. Which leads to a question. Are you still running pcv?

Is the chip actually going into closed loop at idle?

What version chip?

Yeah its going into closed loop, and i have the 6.0TT chip. Dave, you're the best.I must have changed the translator settings wrong. i changed the fuel curve to 10% lean and now it runs how it was.