Need help identifying this wire

tb3

elbows & a$$holes
I'm in the process of installing aftermarket headers and changing over to the 86/87 ignition module and coil on my 84 GN. After removing the stock coil module mounting bracket, I saw this wire directly under it that is tie-rapped to the wire harness that isn't connected to anything. I circled it red in the picture. Does anybody know what this is for? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Aftermarket Tach hookup.

There is also a green connector with one wire there somewhere ..... is runs the fuel pump when powered.

So its to run fuel pump for test/troubleshooting purposes? I don't need to worry about this then?

oops, I didn't see the "aftermarket tach hookup" in the previous post. sorry. I shall proceed. My Poston headers came in, and wow are they pretty. My wallet took a nasty hit, but after seeing them, I feel a little better about it, hopefully it'll be worth skipping a few meals. I can't wait to start it up. I've got the driver side header on, but decided to wait till my bushing heat shield from kirban comes in till I put the other one on. I noticed when I removed the stock headers that my pas. side upper control arm rear bushing was taking quite a beating from the heat coming off the down pipe was about half gone. So i rebuilt the control arm and installed new bushings and ball joint. Looks like it will be a lot easier to install that heat shield without the header and down pipe there, so I'll wait. Has anybody else installed that particular heat shield? Does it really help out as well as kirban says it does?

oh hey brad I think I had wrote before with you about coil pack conversion. I've bought the wire harness adapter to the 86/87 module, coil pack adapter plate, and 87 coil and module. Hook up was all straight forward. I'll do as advised and just hook up firing order to cyls. for a reg. 84 turbobuick and ignore the #'s on new coil pack. Also bought all new wires and plugs. I bought those bosch platinum plugs and gapped them at .035. Hope to start this thing up on sat.

These cars don't like the platinum plugs.
I use AC Delco, some use autolite or NGK.

Yeah I can atest to these cars not liking the platinum plugs. They made my car run like crap. Throw out those POS Bosch, and just stick with the AC Delco ones that are supposed to be in your car. Trust me you will be a lot happier.

crap! I have already installed them. Which means I can't return. Haven't started up the engine yet, I'll pull em out and pitch em today. Wish I knew somebody who needed them. I'm not going to take any chances. I'll take your guys word for it and go buy the AC Delcos. I apprecitate the advice!
Umm..... and in case I may need some more advice..... I got the plug wires, coil pack and ignition module from kirban. Which I hope is all good quality. 98 percent of the questions I have get answered on this site by useing the search function. Being a newbie, I get a little indecisive sometimes by reading some of the differant comments I see on differant products and their manufacture. For instance, I was replied to on another post on how I won't be dissapointed with the quality of my new poston headers, yet, theres a lot of people on here who bash poston and what all kind of crap they sell. :confused: Course I don't really have a choice being it looks like their the only ones who make them for hot airs. I guess as I progress, I'll just keep reading/learning and accept that some of the preventive maintance and mods/upgrades I do may be kind of trial and error.

I have the reproduction Kirban spark plug wires on one of my cars and could be happier with the fit and look. Tenright how long have you been running those platinums for? I had them in my car for a while and at first they worked good, but then after I had about 5k miles on them when I would get under full boost they started messing up and not working right. Went back to AC Delcos and havent had a problem since.

SLOW_85 said:
These cars don't like the platinum plugs.
I use AC Delco, some use autolite or NGK.
I agree with Bob, I've tried other plugs and found the AC Delco's to work better for me