Need Help Fast With Tranny

PARKBOY

I just flew from KY to Cali to drive back my 86 El Camino that is powered by an 87 GN power train. The car has been sitting for about 18 mos and before i parked it, it ran and drove perfectly. Now the car will not shift gears. It stays in first. Ive changed the filter and fluid but that didnt help. Ive got 2 days to get this car fixed or ill have to leave it. Anyone have any ideas what may be wrong. Thanks in advance.

Id check the fluid level one nore time and get it on jack stands up to 25mph and play with the shifter. Is reverse there? Are you sure the governor is intact? Id drop the pan again and pull out the governor and inspect. Post a pic of it if you could. Its under the cover with the four 13mm hex head bolts.

The fluid level is fine. The shifter is fine. Reverse works fine. I have not checked the governor and dont know much about it. Does it just come out once the screws are removed and what should i be looking for on it? thanks

There should be one very fine spring on it. Post a pic if you can.

disconnect tv cable from throttle body.yank the tv cable 20 times in and out with the engine off and then running,reinstall and,road test and see if it shifts.

Well i finally got it fixed. It turned out to be the valve body had to be removed and cleaned. There was a little dirt or something in there causing something in there to stick. Thanks for all your help it is greatly appreciated.