Need CBR info from you sport bike types

GiveUp

Anyone one out there owned or have any experience with a Honda CBR 11XX?

I haven’t pulled my Harley Sportster out in over a year (the things I use to love about it years ago, I’ve grown to hate). I’m definatley going to clean it up and sell it. I’m thinking of either taking the money and using it towards my dream of having a TTA and the Buick, or buying another bike. (Maybe a pop-up camper…. But the wife seems to have lost hope in ever finding time to go camping) Anyway, the Harley is the only bike I’ve ever owned (about 6 years now) and I’m not really into sport bikes. About a year and a ½ ago I started looking at Suz Intruders as a nice comfortable 2 person ride. (A co-worker has one and it’s a nice smooth bike, the stock ape-hangerish bars would need to go... but it feels good.) On my way out I saw a jet black sport bike and just thought how good it would look next to the GN. :) Started talking to the sales guy about it… Wow, I’m still thinking about it. OMG was it powerful… like scrap me off the curb if I would have bought this when I was 21 powerful. The brakes (linked system) were great and it seemed to handle like a dream. Course the price was too much so I didn’t even think about it. But now I’m finding a few 97-99 models in the 6-7k range.

Just curious if anyone has any input into this or suggestions on other bikes like this. Granted, I’ve only been on an older ninja and a katana, and in fairness both had front end damaged (wrecked and repaired by owners). But they sorta felt like wind up tinker-toys to me… light and quick (certainly more than my bike) but they just lacked… If speed was my only interest in riding I would never have bought a Harley to begin with. The CBR was… well like the Buick, smooth and comfy, but bad ass if I yanked on it. :0

Here is what I’m looking for IF I go sport bike…

1) Good comfort for 2 up riding… like 5-8 hour trips with stops for food and site seeing/stretching.

2) 6k is around my limit (if I could spend more I would buy a Softtail or Lowrider in a heartbeat!!!!)

3) It doesn’t have to be the quickest thing on the planet, most bikes are going to be a step up in speed from what I’m use to. But I want power and smooth power at that.

Thanks for any input

Sounds like you need a Suzuki SV650. Get one of those and it'll be the last bike you ever ride. :)

The CBR XX is a good bike for that purpose so is the ZX 11 by kawasaki. Some other options would be a Honda VFR 800 or Suzuki RF900 Those are considered to be sport touring bikes in your price range. Just remember no resale value and try to talk the seller down at least 1K because of it. The other guys on this board will let ya know if I left any bikes out.

5-8 hour trips, I don't even enjoy doing really fun things for 8 hours. Seriously, I don't know of a sport bike that is remotely comfortable for that long. I get a little crampy after an hour on the TL.

I have had 2CBR11XX, both '98's, 1 bought brand new in the crate, and 1 bought used with about 900 miles on the clock. I still have 1 of them. I think that they are great bikes in the sport-touring catagory leaning a little toward the touring side of the spectrum. Heli-riser bars might help a little on the leaning forward issue, if you are not acustomed to that particular upper body lean angle. Try WWW.CBR1100XX.COM for a good source of information on SR-71 blackbird.
Good luck with whatever you choose.
At 5 to 8 hours in the saddle, you need to look into the "ironbutt" club.

Wow, that was quick. Thanks for all the suggestions. I need to write these down and start looking them up. Found a few web sites with good user/owner feedback. But it is tough to sort through them with all the models/year changes. I didn't even know where to start.

Thanks for the link on the CBR site. Off to do reading. (edit.. site not there, ahh.. its a .org deal. Found it) Wells, Have you had very many bikes? what made you chose the 11xx? I'm finding other Harley/cruiser 'converts' seem to love this bike.

OH, and I should clear up. 5-8 hours in a 12 hour day. As in ride for an hour or two, stop and eat... check out the site for a few hours, jump back on and cruise to the next town. Rinse repeat... Not drive till out of gas, fill up and keep going. Hell that might be tough on a gold wing.

But I did spend many summers on the back of a bike as a kid. My brother and I on one bike, and my parents on the other. I've spent alot of time asleep on the back of a bike. heheh My bro still has marks from braking and my limp head smashing the visor into his spine. Dam would he get pissed at me for not staying awake. :)

I have a CBR 954rr!!! With a Micron exhaust and a bunch of cosmetic mods.I can spend 2hrs maximum on that seat, put someone on the back and they will never relax enough to get comfortable. Speed and power like you would not believe, fuel injected, hit the starter and go, no choke to worry about.
Bike will power wheelie in 2nd gear at over 70mph, I promise it would make your palms sweat.

1) Comfort....who needs it?

2) Probably pick up a NICE used one for $7500-$8500

3) not the quickest on the planet but quick enough!!

I owned a 2000 CBRxx.. I loved it.. It was comfortable, FAST! and all around great combo for touring/sport. The zx 11 or greater, at least to me was a bit shorter and was not as comfortable as the cbr..

my 2c

Originally posted by GiveUp
"Wells, Have you had very many bikes? what made you chose the 11xx? I'm finding other Harley/cruiser 'converts' seem to love this bike."
We'll, let's see: As best as I can remember:
'64 Triumph Bonneville T120R in '65
'67 BSA Lighting Rocket in about 68 or 69
'70 or so Norton Commando 750 0r 850 set up as a "faux-pas" flat-tracker for the street in about '71 or so.
'71 0r '72 Honda 750 K2? in about '71 or '72. Bought new.
'70 or so Harley Sportster (was definitely AMF) in about '76.
'73 or so Harley Sportster in about '78 or so.
'80 Honda CBX1100, or was it a 1000, in about '82 or so.
'89 Harley Lowrider in '89. ( bought brand new).
'98 Honda CBR1100XX in about '99 or '00. Bought new in crate.
'98 Honda CBR1100XX in about 01, bought used with about 900 miles on the clock, I still have this one.
It's reasonably quick, being king of the hill at least one year
It's reasonably fast, being king of the hill for at least 1 year, I think
It's a honda. They virtually never break
As a sport-tourer, it is one of the best, by most peoples standards.
It is definitely one of the more attractrive big bikes out there.
It's emphasis leans toward the touring that the sport, being a little too heavy for serious canyon carving, which I am not skilled at anyhow.
It's bitchin looking, with just the right amount of fairing.
All above: IMHO & FWIW: Standard disclaimer

Thanks. I live in FL so canyon carving aint gonna happen! :) So that is the least of my needs... all the others you listed what I was looking at. I've yet to find a negative comment. Other than I guess it was (at some point) the quickest bike and has lost that to the busa and new ninja? Whatever... that doesn't even factor in for me. The thing scared me at part throttle, I would kill myself if I laid into it.

I think the one I checked out was a 98 and it had a tank bag and bars already. I'm 5' 11" and 170... the bike felt like it was made for me, everything was in just the right spot. I'm still doing research on the other listed. Thanks.

BTW what is a TL?

'98 and earlier: carburated. '99 and later: fuelie.
I don't think that it was ever proven that the fuel injected cbr's were any faster. Probably a little smoother and no choke, though.
I believe that there was a taillight design change between the 2 years, also.

you do not want a tl1000 for touring bike.
buy bmw or ducati for touring... not a cbr1100

Good comfort for 2 up riding… like 5-8 hour trips with stops for food and site seeing/stretching.

ya right, never gonna happen... my choice for a touring bike:
ktm duke
bmw w/ late model boxer engine
any ducati touring bike st2 etc:

Go with a Yamaha V-Max!, real comfortable, not quite a crotch rocket but man, if you want to hit 10's in a 1/4 mile, there ya go. I have one and my gf loves to ride with me on that.
I have a friend with a TL1000 and he hates it, keeps falling apart on him

Well... I do appreciate the info. But unless you are gonna float me some cash a BMW and Ducati just isn't gonna happen. Once again I'll state, if I wanted to spend 10k on a bike I would get something else. BUT, to me... 6-7k is about all I'm comfortable with tossing away at a bike. I still got stuff to buy for the Buick of course. :)

And as far as 5-8 hours.. yeah, I doubt the wife will last that long. But I'm shoting for the max. AND I'm still not sure i'm the sport bike type.... just trying to figure out what will give me the best experience. I KNOW the little Katanas and Ninja I rode ain't it. Until the 11XX I thought every sport bike was like those. WRONG!

OH and TL1000 Is a Suz right? heheeh Its funny really... This is how little I know about the 4 major import bikes. you guys rattle off TL,YZF,SV,CBR and it is all friggin greek to me. :) If the 11XX had been ANY other color other than black and right in front of the dam door on my way out I wouldn't even be writing this. I would have never looked at a sport bike.

I've owned several bikes throughout the years from the infamous V-Max to my latest 02 XX. Several changes have occured in the XX from the carbs to the fuelie and the air scoops on the front faring on the newer models. I've ridden both the 98 carbed XX and my 02 which seems to have a quicker throttle response. The fuelie also in my opinion has a smoother ride with less vibration from the engine.
As far as the the XX losing its title to the Busa and the ZX12R thats fine. The XX is rolling 1137cc compared to the Kawa's 1200 cc and the Busa's 1300cc. The XX's are rated at 164bhp and 110lbs of torque with a top speed from 172 to 180 depending on the rider. Trap speeds tend to vary from 10.18 to 10.06 again with the rider. I understand that the XX is still pounding on the back door of the Busa and the ZX1R, change the slip-on pipes to free up the exhaust and lighten the load and guess what.?! Hello Busa and 12R!!!
Stick with the XX it's a kick ass all around bike. Also the 03's are back to black,,,find a dealer that still has some 02's which are silver and you can wheel and deal all day. :D