Need cam sensor assistance!

LB4

Folks,

I just finished redoing the front of the engine (New timing chain, sensor, timing chain cover, etc.). It's all back together except for the cam sensor. I've already checked my oil pressure with a drill (worked great), and now need to install the cam sensor. How? The shop manual just says note position and while I know the motor is near TDC on #1 cylinder, I don't know if it's on the compression stroke or not. I also know it's not on TDC as I turned the crank to adjust the crank sensor.
Is there a way I can look at the timing mark and install the sensor? I have the cam sensor tool from Caspers and this is the first time I'm using it, but it looks like it assumes the mechanical position of the cam sensor is already done!
5 months my car has been down and if I can lick this then I'll have her running.

TIA.

Lynn Boyer

P.S. Tried the search function as that's ususally how I find my answers, but I can't get it to work. Tried on 2 different computers with 3 different browsers. Just hangs or stays on the search screen.

gnttype

Yes I've been all over that site. Didn't even occur to me today. Found a procedure that I think will work. Wish I'd remember that!

Thanks!

I've give it a try tonight

Lynn

I read an old article that says its 1 5/8 past tdc on the balancer, then you drop it in with the slot in the vicinity of the cap pick up and probe the middle "B" and turn it counter clockwise until you see a voltage drop and lock it down.

You should have gotten a sticker to put on your balancer to determine the position of the engine and then a mark on that sticker lined up with your "0" timing mark indicated when to then set the cam sensor with the "tool".

Also, you can take off the driver side valve cover and see that both valves(#1 cyl) are closed then take out #1 spark plug and double check piston is up with all that and the mark on the balancer at zero you are at TDC. Then put on the sticker, move the engine to the line on the sticker at set the cam sensor.

When my motor was apart, I used a degree wheel to find TDC, then filed a notch (and filled the notch with red paint) in the balancer under the "0" marker and did the same for the sensor setting mark (1.45" ATDC). Makes it easy next time...

S10xGN,

I thought about using the degree wheel when I had the front apart, but couldn't find one easily. Now just a question, but I thought if you had #1 cylinder at TDC on either stroke, then the line on harmonic balancer should be exactly at zero on the timing mark. If that's not true then what am I missing here?

Thanks,
Lynn

Yes, with the mark on 0 on the compression stroke would be TDC. To find TDC on the compression stroke, have someone hold their finger over the #1 spark plug hole, and when a rush of air comes out, you're on the compression stroke. If no one is there to help you, just stick the end of a rag in the hole, and as you click the starter around, when the rag blows out, you're on the compression stroke. Now you have to turn the balancer to 25* (1.45") after TDC, drop in the cam sensor, and probe the center wire w/ a volt meter w/ the key on, slowly turn the cam sensor, and as soon as the voltage drops, you're cam sensor is set.