need advise on cam amd torque converter

kandc7

hi everyone! i am looking at getting a new converter and cam, but don't know what stall to get. i am looking at a 2800 stall and maybe 212/212 cam flat tap. i don't want a roller cam at this time. so will this cam and stall work good with my set up?

te44,60lb with matching chip from Eric, 3in Dp, 3in dump with 3in cat back exhaust, 340 pump with hot wire kit, 3in aluminum rad with daul fan, front mount ic, alky kit, scanmaster, cold air intake, 160 thermostat.

any help would be very appreciated!! thanks for your time.

A 2800 should work well. I'd consider a 3200 if you think you may upgrade the turbo within two years.

My opinion, after doing a few builds like this, you need at least a 3200, but I would go with a 3500 if you plan on any track time.

thanks for replying! it is a street car and maybe see track 2times a year. so you still thing 2800 is too low for street use? and what cam should i run? right now it is a stock cam and trans.

We did many builds with a TE-44, 3000 stall converter and a few other mods that were 12.0 cars at the track, and great on the street.

These were stock cam cars, as that cam will do great even into low 11's/high 10's. We have found the 212/212 is a very good 10 sec. cam.

My opinion, why change the stock cam for a TE-44 if it is working ok. :confused:

x2...I run my TE44 into the 11's regularly with a stock cam and a stock converter. I do prefer a tight converter for street driving though. I think a 2800 in my car would get it into cage territory. So maybe for you leave the cam alone for now if you're not going hydro-roller anyway and just get a converter? I still think 2800 stall is plenty myself, but I haven't changed mine yet, so I don't know for sure. I do know I've been in too many street cars that had too loose of a converter and that gets old quick.

i just put in a 9.5 3200 stall lock up i have a 212 212 cam and a te 60 turbo man its like night and day when i put the converter in :) get launchs too

I used to run a te-44 with a 2800 stall 9/11 lock up and stock heads&cam with wore out valve springs and it used to rip thru 1st and 2nd gear all day.I agree with nick you should go with 3200 stall juss in case you do go with a slightly bigger cam you'll have enough stall for it, that an some head porting would help spool things a little faster

thanks guy's i think i will keep my stock cam and just get a converter. do you know what brand i should get? pat, or ptc? thanks for all of your info and have a great day!!

i just ordered a ptc 2800 stall from dusty! what a great guy!! he recomands i get a 206/206 cam with that conveter and my te44. i hope this is a good combo.

i just ordered a ptc 2800 stall from dusty! what a great guy!! he recomands i get a 206/206 cam with that conveter and my te44. i hope this is a good combo.

Are you getting a spragged or spragless convertor? If it's for mostly a street car I'd get a trans cooler if your going spragless.
The sprag or one-way clutch is deisgned to let the stator fins rotate with the turbine and the pump fins at higher RPM. The spragless does not rotate at all so at high RPM, those fins are in the way creating additional heat. Because of the stator locked they cant overrun, this is also where additional heat comes from if driven on the street. In a drag race application the car should always be accelerating, so the stator would be in a locked state anyway.