Need advice on a chip purchase for my hotair.

Sandman_GN85

Someone help me?
Alright, here is my setup. The car is pretty much stock except for different exhuast and a cold air intake. Anything else I have yet to discover. I am almost positive it is the stock injectors and I know its the stock turbo. What is the best 93 octane chip for this setup?
This may sound dumb but I actually have no clue what a chip does, do they add HP? Change setup? Are they hard to put on? Thanks

id say jay carter chip.. but you need an 87 ecm first..

what exhaust is on it.. ?

Put a Walbro 340M Fuel pump, and a Hot-Wire kit before you start doing anything to the car. My car in stock set up with the stock fuel pump was getting knock at 8psi of boost...I swapped out the Pump, and hot-wired it...and the knock was gone!

After you have Fuel....you can do other mods..but till then just hold off.

How do I know if my car has been hotwired? The person I bought it off of had it with a 100 octane chip he put in a bag for me. He supposidly raced it, so how could I check to see if its been hotwired already? And if it hasn't, how much does the usual hotwire kit cost and where can I get one?

Yea herb is right , fuel pump , reg and hot wire should be the first thing you do before any mods , if your chip is broke or some thing then get one but save for the fuel pump first, really would hate to see you blow you motor up from lack of fuel.

good luck

Oh yeah TType84 you wanted to know my exhaust. Well honestly I have no clue other then its not the stock single muffler style. It appears to be 2 1/2 inch to dual glass packs on the car. Doesn't sound loud at all, will be putting on flowmasters eventually.

Hmm wait I thought you hotwire the 87 ECM, you hotwire the fuelpump? :confused: I am definitly getting confused.

You hot wire the fuel pump, it plugs into the fuel pump and has a relay you mount back by the gas tank, then it runs to the alt to get power and has a in line fuse.

As for the 87 ecm just plug it in just like the 85 ecm and change the maf to a 87 and your good to go. Your engine light will stay on till you get a air temp sensor , i think thats what it is, i can get the part number for you later.

good luck,:)

I was reading up on things like the thrasher 93 chip and it says I need things like a fuel regulator and a way to set it at 45 psi, looks like more things I gotta buy just to chip the car =(.

dude, you gotta buy those things anyway. if you dont, you will blow it up. not might. will. it will explode, you will be riding a bike or a razor scooter. no more tr. get a fuel pump $90-120, and a hotwire kit $35-55, and a regulator $65-150 before you do anything else.