Need a little help with this one

daviss

It looks like a shim of some kind. It's epoxied or JB Welded to the block and has a fair amount of scuffing on it. I noticed it when I tore the motor down and thought my machinist would have seen it before but he hadn't. It's coming loose on one side and was just about to pull it off and thought I would post it up. Original cam was a Comp 206/206 flat tappet and it's going back together with a roller. Any help appreciated.

Steve

Attachments

• buick pics.jpg
    buick pics.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 332
Looks like some type of thrust surface for the cam. Definatly looks micky mouse if its JB welded to the block

That's what I assumed it was too. I went ahead and pulled it off. It was stuck with epoxy. I was hoping someone had seen something like it before to know for sure.

Make sure your new cam has some type of thrust surface to run on, my billet cam ended up eating my block because there was no thrust surface.

Make sure your new cam has some type of thrust surface to run on, my billet cam ended up eating my block because there was no thrust surface.

I think you answered the queston DD. I'd bet there was some sort of issue with the cam and some one came up with this as a solution. Check where the cam rides and I'll bet it's a little rough with out the plate on it.

It looks like a shim of some kind. It's epoxied or JB Welded to the block and has a fair amount of scuffing on it. I noticed it when I tore the motor down and thought my machinist would have seen it before but he hadn't. It's coming loose on one side and was just about to pull it off and thought I would post it up. Original cam was a Comp 206/206 flat tappet and it's going back together with a roller. Any help appreciated.

Steve

What are u going to do with the 206 cam.U can pm me
THANX JOE

I went ahead and pulled it off and cleaned off all the epoxy. It needed to come off because it had come loose on one side and couldn't stay like that. I'll take a closer look at it when I get around to installing the new cam. Its a new comp roller from FT I'm still checking clearances on the crank so it'll be a few days.

JC3569- You have a PM

Steve

Block thrust shimming

My block i am building had the same aet up block thrust surface. My machinist machined the block .040 to match a bronze thrust washer i bought from TA perf and then he installed 2 roll pins in the block and notched the washer edges fitting over the recessed pins. Washer sits flush to the block thrust surface and the pins hold it from rotating. Real cool fix.

Mitch

My block i am building had the same aet up block thrust surface. My machinist machined the block .040 to match a bronze thrust washer i bought from TA perf and then he installed 2 roll pins in the block and notched the washer edges fitting over the recessed pins. Washer sits flush to the block thrust surface and the pins hold it from rotating. Real cool fix.

Mitch

Can you post pics?