Necessary to move trans at all for rear main seal?

87gninpa

I read on gnttype that the trans must be unbolted from the engine in order to do the rear main. However, after reading some threads via the search feature, some people say all that needs to be done is to remove the oil pan and bearing cap. IS this true?? id like to make this as simple as possible. also, where can i get a new oil pickup screen for the oil pump?? Does the oil pump need to be primed after this? or is it just startup afterwards??

Just remove the oil pan, really no big deal. Hardest thing is getting the old rope seal out. Was lucky on mine, only had about 6000 miles on the car when I did it.

To remove the cap you need some leverage...remove the main bolts then put them back in the cap but don't thread them in then grab both with your hand and squeeze together then wiggle the cap back and forth...may take some time but it will come out...

thanks guys....i also heard u have to unbolt the motor mounts ro get the pan out. can i just take off the crossover and drop the pan?? also, where do i get a new oil pump pickup screen???

Originally posted by 87gninpa
thanks guys....i also heard u have to unbolt the motor mounts ro get the pan out. can i just take off the crossover and drop the pan?? also, where do i get a new oil pump pickup screen???
I never pulled the crossmember or mount bolts. Just put a little pressure on the trans with a jack all you need is 1/8 to 1/4 inch lift to wiggle the pan out. Kevin

i said crossover as in exhaust crossover, i wasnt planning on moving the crossmember. so im assuming then its ok to just clean the pickup anstead fo replacing it???? also, on the gnttype instructions, it says "REPLACE the gasket that goes between the block and pick up" what gasket would this be???

Nomenclature is: Gasket, o/pump suction side pipe flange.
Group# 1.657 Part# 25518470
You're right, it doesn't show at GM Parts Direct. Shouldn't be hard to find at local GM dealer or parts store...if all else fails, it would be easy to get some gasket material and make your own.

BTW, here's something FOR FUTURE REFERENCE

Crossover needs to be removed...pan might come off without doing it but much easier with it out of the way...never had to jack engine to get pan off...I always set engine at TDC before removing pan...seems to get the counterweights in the right position for the pan to slide out...normally the pan will hang up on the pickup as you try to remove it...what I do is drop the pan down then reach my hand in there and push down lightly on the baffle to get around the pickup...then slide the pan back and out...the other thing you need to do is put some duct tape on the bottom of the flywheel...several layers...as you slide the pan backwards the pan rail in the back will scrape the teeth on the bottom of the flywheel...the tape keeps it from getting scratched and I wouldn't remove the pickup unless it's really clogged...if you do make sure to use blue locktite on the bolts and torque to spec...pickup gasket is #24501259

Apparently the gasket part number was changed as Scott mentioned...I would read his post carefully and follow his suggestions. I agree there's generally no reason to replace the screen/gasket. You can visually check and go from there.