nats pics at gsxcitement.com

John Wilde said:
If there is something out there that I don't know about please help me out. Until then bring it don't sing it!

I have 2 Stage 2 motors at home, if you are such a fan I will offer you a good deal so you can put something together to run Dusty. (and lose)
I will use that money to take care of my family, but if I did not have to I would build a small or big block with lot's of turbo.

Great offer...buickman69, all you need to supply is your bottle of nitrous and you can prove us all wrong. :eek:

buickman69 said:
I disagree & so do others..
Ever talked to any PRO-V8 Buick engine builders (meaning Buicks are ALL they do) like Jim Wise, Jim Burek, Mike Phillips, etc??
Your probably rolling with what the chevy boys tell you... Wish I had the $$$$, i'd prove it to ya.. ;)
Although my dream car is only a 2,500 lb (including my fat ass) '32 Model A V8 Buick powered with Nitrous.

What kind of block and rotating assembly are these guys using to make the kind of power I'm making with my Chevy (1500hp)? I'm guessing a stock block with some girdles and mods to try and piece it together. Where were these motors at the nats? I'm not doubting you but there aren't enough of these motors out there to prove your point and certainly not enough of them taking abuse in competition and living long enough for me to invest in 1 of them.

a 2500 lb car is the ONLY way you'll get a reliable low 8 second Buick to live. Our min weight is 3300#. If there's a V8 Buick out there that can make the power to run low 8's on radials at that weight and live to tell about it, I'd like to see it. School all of us please.

BTW, there are plans to have a heads up 10.5 tire class so the V8 guys can use power adders. It's having to be limited to 1/8 only for the motor's sake. This is straight from the V8 owners themselves.

The way I understand it if the chebby boys didnt show there wouldnt of been much of a show at all. I quess I'm ASS backwards too but mines buick powered chebby :D

TSO and the other heads up classes put on a great show as usual. Hartline's 300 foot wheelstand had to be the highlight of racing. Roy and Laz put up a 9.20 in TSE trim which amazed everyone although their competition had a problem with a minor wheelwell modification and the powers that be wanted them out of the class :rolleyes: I guess that wheelwell mod was worth the 4 tenths they had on everybody in the class :wink: Fiscus was set to put on a show with his new TSO T/A motor but some new car bugs slowed down the progress. Gomes had to leave early.

I did see 1 new thing I've never seen before. There was a black GS Buick with a blow through procharger that looked great but I don't know what kind of #'s it put up. Someone told me high 9's. I wish I would have took some pics of it. Beautiful car.

John Wilde said:
Ronnie I appreciate your love for Buicks, but it has blinded you from reason.
I have owned 3 Turbo Regals in the 18 years, that I have been in love with these cars. I also am a huge fan of heads up racing. A Buick v-6 can not compete with a turbocharged v-8 at a similar weight period! Since my friends Chris Chow and Dusty Bradford are both serious about competing at a National level and not just a Nationals Level they have stepped up to meet the competition. There is not a currently availible Buick Motor that is proven to live at 1500 to 2200HP. This is the level that is common with the Drag Radial through Outlaw Classes. If there is something out there that I don't know about please help me out. Until then bring it don't sing it!

I have 2 Stage 2 motors at home, if you are such a fan I will offer you a good deal so you can put something together to run Dusty. (and lose)
I will use that money to take care of my family, but if I did not have to I would build a small or big block with lot's of turbo.

Well I appreciate your input, & offer as well but i'm gonna pass on the V6 stuff, only Nitrous & V8s for me. ;) A friend has been triyng to sell me a Virgin Stage 2 (unbored) already locally.

Anyway, i'm going to post something for you & Dusty as soon as I find the link which may be tonight or Thursday.

Quick6 said:
Great offer...buickman69, all you need to supply is your bottle of nitrous and you can prove us all wrong. :eek:
Just as soon as you hand me the cash money-man.

buickman69 said:
Well I appreciate your input, & offer as well but i'm gonna pass on the V6 stuff, only Nitrous & V8s for me. ;) A friend has been triyng to sell me a Virgin Stage 2 (unbored) already locally.

Anyway, i'm going to post something for you & Dusty as soon as I find the link which may be tonight or Thursday.

Good luck with your endeavors.
We are all car guys, let's not lose any sleep over this.

Dusty Bradford/ said:
I did see 1 new thing I've never seen before. There was a black GS Buick with a blow through procharger that looked great but I don't know what kind of #'s it put up. Someone told me high 9's. I wish I would have took some pics of it. Beautiful car.

YES, he was 1 example I was gonna use.

He may shoot me for giving out this info & then again maybe he won't care. I was gonna reference the situation & not the car or his name but since part of it's out i'll say a little.

He's from the north... told me it dynoed OVER 1,100hp... & I think that's rear wheel (could be wrong). It's a full weight metal car with cage, interior, & all!! GOTTA weigh @ least 3,500 MINIMUM & it's a BBB. If my red-headed friend from his area wants to chim in with more details on this car that's fine.
Now, he was having trouble with his ignition @ the Nationals but if I know him, he'll get it straight. I do know that car sounds...MMMEEEAAANNN! :cool:
With his ignition problems along with others.. the passes I saw him make was in the 9s & that's poppin & cracking not even making a full run. He use to run 9's on motor!!

buickman69 said:
YES, he was 1 example I was gonna use.

He may shoot me for giving out this info & then again maybe he won't care. I was gonna reference the situation & not the car or his name but since part of it's out i'll say a little.

He's from the north... told me it dynoed OVER 1,100hp... & I think that's rear wheel (could be wrong). It's a full weight metal car with cage, interior, & all!! GOTTA weigh @ least 3,500 MINIMUM & it's a BBB. If my red-headed friend from his area wants to chim in with more details on this car that's fine.
Now, he was having trouble with his ignition @ the Nationals but if I know him, he'll get it straight. I do know that car sounds...MMMEEEAAANNN! :cool:
With his ignition problems along with others.. the passes I saw him make was in the 9s & that's poppin & cracking not even making a full run. He use to run 9's on motor!!

Ron that blow through car sounds like a really cool ride.
I would love to see it make a pass under full power!

Dusty makes over 1325HP to the rear wheels with some left in the tune up.
This is with 383ci and it has over 50 passes on it with out a failure.
Can you please give me an example of a N20 BBB that makes 1500 plus HP and that you can get a full season of hits on? How many cubic inches would this other mystery motor be?

BTW Chris Chow is using the same short block that Bob Rieger won the NMCA Pro Street Championship in 1999 with. It made 1800 plus HP on Duttweiler's Dyno and has gone over 210MPH. It has only gone 175MPH in his small tire, stock suspension 3450lbs WE4. I have seen 2200HP Dyno number from TT SBCs. With what is out there now in the BBB market, you are not in the same ballpark. BTW BBC with twins have made over 3200HP on gas

John Wilde said:
Can you please give me an example of a N20 BBB that makes 1500 plus HP and that you can get a full season of hits on?
Frankly, their aren't many "Buick" people that'll have anything to do with spray. I want to be the 1st 1,000 + HP small block Buick V8 on spray. I'm obsessed with spray, & Buick 350s! It's sssooo reliable, consitant & easy to tune..actually a no brainer.
There IS a thread/threads on a Buick 350 that dynoed right-@ 1100hp using a blow-thru. When I find it i'll post it, it even has a sound byte to the dyno runs. All I gotta do is hook the bottle-up instead.
I've also "heard" that so-in-so is doing this, doing that got 800 to 1,000 hp..but no threads, just only on this 1 guy. But more is going on than what you see @ the Nationals.
Remember the Nationals is 1/2 maybe less of what it use to be so theres more going on than what's being brought & shown.
A guy "Alan" from NC was testing a TT-BBB a few years ago. It's my understanding the tuning was such a PAIN he gave up. The car was @ the Nats about 5 to 7 years ago if memory serves me correct. It was that GREEN-SLAMMED '70 that was their this year with another motor.

The testing & reasearch continues on 350s & 455s. Look @ all the HEAVY Buick V8s running in the 9s on motor. Mike Garrison runs 10.20s/10.teens in a 3,900lb street-car with stock suspension & exhaust exiting the rear. No power adders, all 525 cubic inches of Buick motor.
Rod Hendrickson & others have been down in the low 8s & 7s with blown BBBs. This year he ran a 7.55 till he broke, not sure exactly what broke though.
See his video on the front page
www.gsnationals.com

When I asked Bob (supercharged GS) why he didn't spray instead of blow-thru & he says he don't trust it. I love it!! Some of my best friends are chevy & Ford guys. (not many REAL Buick people in this area) They use the heck out of it, with 99% success. They are deep in the 8's with it as well with 383s.
1 of my chevy buddys goes WWWAYY back into the 60s in racing. Well respected & looked-up to in these parts..he HAS a Model A street-rod (383) that can get down their with Dusty if he'd push it that hard & he is the guy that gave me the idea for the whole project. We've road that truck all over middle TN looking for races & just crusin. I fell in love with his ride, just want a Buick V8 version in a coupe instead for my own . Even he says it can be done & we've done some extensive talking about it.

Jim Burek a well respected V8 Buick engine builder told me 3-4 years ago what I wanna do can be done. No one @ that time wanted to go to the expense to test a Buick 350. So has a guy from Automotive Machine another well known V8 Buick shop told me it could be done, again all about $$$$. It all comes down to $$$$, lots of it. Custom crank, you know a girdle is a given, afterall a Buick 350 is a 231 + 2cylinders pretty much. Dressed weight of a Buick 350 is 450lbs. Also has a longer stroke than a chebby. about $15,000 in the motor @ least & another $30,000 or so in the rollin chasis but this would be something that's Barrett-Jackson material as that's how I roll "Fast With Class"

John Wilde said:
How many cubic inches would this other mystery motor be?
If you are inquiring about the blow thru BBB, I wanna say 462, but don't hold me to that. He told me last Tuesday night. I just wanted to respect his privacy not knowing if he wanted the cat outta the back yet..if not OOPS, sorry. :eek:

John Wilde said:
BTW Chris Chow is using the same short block that Bob Rieger won the NMCA Pro Street Championship in 1999 with. It made 1800 plus HP on Duttweiler's Dyno and has gone over 210MPH. It has only gone 175MPH in his small tire, stock suspension 3450lbs WE4. I have seen 2200HP Dyno number from TT SBCs. With what is out there now in the BBB market, you are not in the same ballpark. BTW BBC with twins have made over 3200HP on gas
3200hp.... :eek: Yep that's wwwaaayyy out of a Buicks ballpark & even I know that.

My whole point originally was about the G-S-C-A event, breaking the rules & making us look bad with the idea of a non Buick powered car participating in the event, REGARDLESS of it's power level.

It's a free country, people can do what that wish with their cars. It just offends people that some want to desicrate (spelling?) their Buick by putting a chevy motor in it. & to bring it to a Buick event is a huge smack in the face.. When they all could be using Buick power instead. That's my hole point to this.
Buick V8s are getting faster & faster all the time. Need more people in-it, not throwing their hands up & running away.

Here ya go Ronnie. This info has been out of the bag for a long time.

http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=68183

Again. It's a no brainer for someone who needs to make an honest 1500hp and compete in heads up races on a monthly basis. Actually I need another 300hp now if I could afford better heads.....

If all you want is a fast Buick for the nats then go right ahead with a similiar build-up like Bill. Like he said...it takes lots of dollars, you have to chance your investment with a stock block and if something breaks you'll be waiting months for another custom ordered part. Even head gaskets :rolleyes: The V8 Buick sure isn't the smartest investment which is what I'm after....bang for the buck.

It's really hard to argue that the Buick V8 is a better engine when it cost's more money to build a less reliable, less powerful engine. However, if that's what you want, go for it, it's your money. I agree with the Buick engine builder. If you want an 8 second ride with Buick power it can be done. The catch is that it's expensive and it will have to be in a very light car to achieve the goal.

buickman69 said:
My whole point originally was about the G-S-C-A event, breaking the rules & making us look bad with the idea of a non Buick powered car participating in the event, REGARDLESS of it's power level.

It's a free country, people can do what that wish with their cars. It just offends people that some want to desicrate (spelling?) their Buick by putting a chevy motor in it. & to bring it to a Buick event is a huge smack in the face.. When they all could be using Buick power instead. That's my hole point to this.
Buick V8s are getting faster & faster all the time. Need more people in-it, not throwing their hands up & running away.

It doesn't make the Buicks look bad, it's just reality that the Chevy Small block can make as much and more power as any Buick motor big or small because of the available parts. It's a reality for me at every race that I see Ford Small Blocks with turbo's making over 2400hp.....I don't like it but it's the truth. As Jack Nicholson put it "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH"

Remember Buick put 305 Chevy's in the Regals themselves.....

It's true, the Buick V8's are faster now than ever before. BUT without aftermarket blocks and parts on the shelf ready to go you will not see them in my style of competition. The purists just have to accept that after a certain point a Buick is not justifiable and I'm one of those guys that have crossed that point. Now a few years down the road if I don't want to make the changes to the roll cage and car to make it 7.50 legal, I'll sell it to a V6 racer and go on my way.

buickman69 said:
Frankly, their aren't many "Buick" people that'll have anything to do with spray. I want to be the 1st 1,000 + HP small block Buick V8 on spray. I'm obsessed with spray, & Buick 350s! It's sssooo reliable, consitant & easy to tune..actually a no brainer.

Thanks for your honest answer.

john

jim rock went 8.23 @171mph with 10 lbs boost; runs on pure alky, no intercooler , no water in block, he even took out the freeze plugs so air could get around the cyls, his little skylark weights 2150 with driver, when he gets it tuned right it should really go fast, engines is a 274 on center with twin 70 turbos, :)

odell4o8 said:
jim rock went 8.23 @171mph with 10 lbs boost; runs on pure alky, no intercooler , no water in block, he even took out the freeze plugs so air could get around the cyls, his little skylark weights 2150 with driver, when he gets it tuned right it should really go fast, engines is a 274 on center with twin 70 turbos, :)

OD,

That is a super cool deal and I would love to hear more about it.
What compression is the motor?
Can you be more specific about the turbos.
He should have a lot left considering he is using 990HP to get that 171MPH.
If you can get enough fuel to that it should make 1600HP on kill.
That car could have a chance at 200MPH.

odell4o8 said:

Wow. I wondered how fast this was going to be, because in the big video Sully posted he blows the tires away and lifts after it starts to go sideways, nails it and spins again, and then finally gets on it again and still runs a 9.2. :biggrin: Go Jim!

Jim's car will be a handful on those big tires and short wheelbase. It looked like he had some chassis issues. When the car would make boost it would try to go to the right and it didn't appear to be wheelspin.

I assumed it was tire spin making it move to the right - hopefully he will get it adjusted out. Does anyone know if he will be at Indy, or maybe Salem?

great pictures i have looked at them serval times and and copied ones of my car and some friends cars, thanks oc, :)