n.j collector plates and registration

turbot2112

anyone here no about collecter plates and registration. its time for inspection and the guy i ussually use got caught and fined for passing cars that dont normally pass.no way in hell my car will ever pass and i heard with collecter registration and plates you dont need inspection.is that true?dont really care about the limited mileage cause i dont drive it everyday.oh, im in n.j. . :D thanks

Your car has to have "collector or classic" insurance.Also has to be regstered as such.
Can't drive more than 7000 miles per year.No emission test.Every two years you have to go to the end of the line to get a new sticker.
If you go to the njdmv web site,you can find the info there.

No reason you're car can't pass. Put a cat on and run some alky in the tank and you should be able to get through. There are several threads with tips and tricks to get your car through emissions.

without egr too though? my car would never even come close before to passing the old test up here. with the new test i dont think i have a prayer.:D

I passed NJ last time, I just put the cat on and drove it in, that was with my old 206 cam We'll see what happens with the 212 this year. I haven't had a functioning EGR setup since I bought my car.

Originally posted by LC2
Your car has to have "collector or classic" insurance.Also has to be regstered as such.
Can't drive more than 7000 miles per year.No emission test.Every two years you have to go to the end of the line to get a new sticker.
If you go to the njdmv web site,you can find the info there.

Actually, you can't drive it more than 6,000 miles over a 2 year period. Every two years when its time for inspection the only thing they will check is the mileage. The mileage thing is what you need to worry about.

If this is not an option, your best bet is to get a new cat, change the oil, and drive around for a bit to warm up the cat and then see what happens at inspection. Post the results and see if there is any hope. Even if you fail you've got a couple months or so because you can retake the test a couple times. After you go to inspection you can still take it to a private person, although the bad thing about this is that what you failed will be clearly labeled..... therefore if the private person passes you he can't say that you must have made changes after he passed you because its already in writing.

My current concern is the brake test. With large wheel cylinders and soft pads in the back I doubt I'd pass. Just something to keep in mind.

hmmm, my buddy down the street has collector plates and he was tellin me you dont need special insurance. hell, im just gonna call up joim testa and see what he says. hes the emmisions tech on the board aint he.:D

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/cleanair/exempt_inspection.html

Note the difference compared to Historic vehicles. If the car is at least 25 years old you can qualify for that and don't need collector insurance.

The process to change to Collector vehicle is quite easy, but you'll likely need a new insurance company that offers collector insurance and will have to keep the 6,000 miles over 2 years limit.

Murphster is correct. I have NJ collector registration on my GN. You must have collector insurance and keep it under 6k miles in 2 years. The only inspection is the odometer every 2 years. You need to bring your insurance policy to the "inspection" too so they can see the pages that make it a collector vehicle policy.

I've scanned the application form if you're interested shoot me an e-mail and I'll send it to you. It's $25 every 2 years.

Jim

The vehicle must have collector car insurance. The mileage will also depend on the isurance company. I have mine through Condon & Skelley and they limit me to 2500 per year. I roughly put around 250 mi a year so that's not a big deal.

Once you go to the DMV offices, they will give you a voucher, looks like a registration card, to present to the tech at the DMV station. The tech will look over the car for equipment requirements and record the mileage and tell you to go around the block to change the odometer reading. If everything passes, you will get a triangle inspection sticker which says collector vehicle and you'll be good for 2 years. It's 2 years anyways for inspection now.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

BTW, I still drive around with my new car dealer sticker and yet to be stopped.:D

yea, i found out last night that you do need the insurance. 2 of my buddys got it.they just said that dmv never checks for the special insurance. probablly cheaper too?:D

Originally posted by turbot2112
yea, i found out last night that you do need the insurance. 2 of my buddys got it.they just said that dmv never checks for the special insurance. probablly cheaper too?:D

The collector insurance is a lot cheaper - mine's $250 per year for an agreed value policy. Each inspection station is different - the one I go to in Randolph asked me for the policy.

I didn't realize you could get the "voucher" at the DMV. I mailed the form to Trenton and they mailed me the voucher back.

The sticker looks like this:
http://www.turbojimmy.com/collector_sticker.JPG

At the local cruise-in a lot people ask about it - not many people are aware that it's an option.

Jim

I've got collectors inspection sticker on my 87 GN. Do they send you a new application for a voucher every two years or do you have to go get it yourself.
JFH

Originally posted by JFH
I've got collectors inspection sticker on my 87 GN. Do they send you a new application for a voucher every two years or do you have to go get it yourself.
JFH

I'm not sure - my first renewal is in June of '05. The application has a "RENEWAL" check box on it, so I'd assume you need to send it in again when you renew (that's why I scanned it in - I can just print it out every 2 years).

Jim