n/a to sfi turbo conversion?

sickv6

First off this site has been a great help to me and I certainly appreciate evryting. I am converting my 87 n/a regal limited to a turbo sfi. So far I have a turbo harness, fuel injector harness, intake, plenum, TB,fuel rail, all sensors on the intake, headers.

My question is if anyone here knows what else I am going to need to pull this off. I know I still need to build the n/a block but that aside Im talking about sensors,timing cover (because of the dizzy). Things like that. Wha is the same and what is different . I also still need a ecm. I havent ran acrossed a thread about it.

Thanks for any help.

Sell it and buy a turbo regal. I know some people who have done this swap. They had a complete turbo parts car and still it was a huge job. The entire wire harness is different(not just the engine harness), fuel lines, fuel tank and on and on. You will be miles ahead to find a factory turbo car.;)

Agree with breakin it, it can be done but not easy. I too was going to go the same route you are before I threw in the towel and just bought a turbo Buick.

ECM you can get out of any 1986-87 GN or T-type. Also cars like the 1986-87 Century, Park Ave, Cutlass Cierra or Delta 88 with a fuel injected 3.8 V6 with either a 3 or a B as the engine's vin code, will have this ECM. So will the 1989 Pontiac Trans AM that has the 3.8 liter V6 but those are rare. Depending on what injectors your intake has you may have to change out the chip in the ECM (you'll want to do it anyways) so plan for that.

You're also going to need the intercooler (ic), the pipe from the turbo to the ic, the up pipe from the ic to the throttle body. As for sensors, you'll need a cam sensor and a crank sensor and a MAF sensor. Then you will also need a down pipe (the part that hooks to the turbo to pull exhaust gasses on to the cat converter)....

Yeah I know it will be a major PITA but I have always lied these cars and could not afford a nice one. Ive found a couple that have been ragged out and rusted all to h#$l. I just love that sinister look and I know what these cars are capable of. Plus if I spent 16k in one shot on a car I would be sleeping elsewhere.

87regal, thanks for the tips. I know I have to get all the piping. Im not making this a stock car by any means I plan to run a t66 or bigger turbo and as far as headers and intercoolers I already have a guy in mind to build everything for me. I just wasnt sure about the other sensors and the timing cover because on the n/a the were the dizzy is located.

To be completely honest with you, to do it right and have it running you'll spend at least $10K on the cheap. The NA engine will need to be pulled out so you can make it safe for boost or you will blow it up. You need the right crank, rods, and pistons, not to mention the machine shop costs. This isn't a project I'd want to tackle and I'm an ASE Master Tech. You can find a decent HA car for between 3 to 5 K and convert it easier and cheaper.

Yeah I know I have to build the n/a block to get it up to par to take the boost. I think I could do it cheaper than 10k and still keep quality parts, but you guys definatley know better than me. I also thought about converting to a series 11 L67 block. I know that they are built.

This build is going to be over a course of a year or so. Im in no hurry. If it takes two years so be it. As long as its done right. Right now these are just plans and I havent gathered to many parts. How hard is it to change these harness's out? I figure while the engine is out it wouldnt be too bad.

If your NA motor is an 86 or 87, that is the desirable block, the 109 block. Heads and rods are the same as the turbo motor. The crank does not have rolled fillets on the mains, but does on the rods, or vice-virsa, can't remember exactly. Guys here have run NA cranks into the 10s, so I wouldn't be afraid to use a standard/standard NA crank. Timing cover is the same. No baffle in the oil pan but easily remedied. Sounds like your determined, so you've come to the right place for information.

RED, thanksfor the help and encouragement. Everyone has told me the same thing, to sell it and buy a real GN. But that makes me want to do this even more. Not that im going to call my car a GN. I do havethe 109 block and it is a 87. I have heard the crank is the smae but Im not too sure about that. As far as track time if I get to the 11's or low 12's Im happy. Like I said it will take a while not this season thats for sure.

I have a good machine shop local and his prices are fair. Been going to him for years and I always assemble my self so that takes the cost way down. I am just completley new to the 3.8 so its all spanish to me.

The secret is to find a complete "parts" turbo regal before the vulchers finds them. :rolleyes: What I mean by "parts" is a car that is totally rusted out AND in need of a complete interior with a dead/blown engine. This way you will have every little piece to install in your N/A Regal. I have found 2 of them for $2500 each....both were running and could be daily driven so I was lucky. I also bought a wrecked GN back in the late 90's for $1400...I converted my Malibu with that car.

Turbo, I wish I could find one for about $1500-$2000. Would make things easier. But with my budget I am just going to pick at itslowly, like I said even if it takes a year. One thing at a time. I will probably get started on the tear down this winter so I can be ready for next season.

RED, thanksfor the help and encouragement. Everyone has told me the same thing, to sell it and buy a real GN. But that makes me want to do this even more. Not that im going to call my car a GN. I do havethe 109 block and it is a 87. I have heard the crank is the smae but Im not too sure about that. As far as track time if I get to the 11's or low 12's Im happy. Like I said it will take a while not this season thats for sure.

I have a good machine shop local and his prices are fair. Been going to him for years and I always assemble my self so that takes the cost way down. I am just completley new to the 3.8 so its all spanish to me.

Well, rest assured. The crank is the same. As I said, I'd use it confidently rather than the .030/.030 turbo crank you might be able to find, if at all. If the motor is clean, was never apart and cylinders are good, just hone them with a dingleberry hone, clean it up, and reassemble with new bearings. You will have to drill and tap for a turbo oil drain back into the block unless you take a direct route to the pan. If you could get a set of stock turbo pistons, they shouldn't cost much.

Red, thanks for the ECM. Thats good that I can use my crank, saves alot of cost. As far as my engine goes it has 88k original miles and runs perfect, so I think your advice will work on the honing and stock pistons. After I knock out a few side jobs I will be on the look out for some rods/pistons. I might as well put the oil line in the block since it is going to be aprt. This winter is when I plan to really start the build. Right now Im just gathering the parts and getting ready to paint it. Need to find a pair of 15x10 draglites for the rear, Got a whole set of GTA rims and tires Ill give for them if they have tires. If you know anyone. I will be posting those up soon.

Keep an eye out this winter and I will post my build on here. Maybe give some other poor sap the hope of creating a turbo car.

I had a '87 regal with a 307, did the conversion and it nickle and dimed me to death!!! Motor I paid 2K for with low milage, then new fuel lines,tank,pump,harness and the list goes on.

What got me was that the car would not crank for crap!!! I was getting no fuel, so it ended up being that I had to run 12 volts of ignition power to the injector harness then BAM it started right up. So expect electrical gremlins as well....if ya want a fun/expensive project then go for it....:biggrin:

Also make sure you know people....I had lots of help from guys that knew what they were doing so it helped a bunch

Buix, Thanks for the advice. Everyone on here has been great so far. Im sure when it comes down to doing the conversion I will have to pick someones brain.

Like you said it will be fun, I expect that the electrical gremlins you speak of will haunt me in my sleep. I already have a decent start on parts. (Thanks Red Regal for the ecm)I plan to pull the engine after the season. Im doing all the body,paint work right now and its nice to be able to move the car. I plan on driving it until I get (what I think are all parts)

I will post a build when it comes time.

The only thing you should HAVE to do to your block is swap in the turbo camshaft, which has a different grind, and lifters while you're at it. The rest should be strictly optional depending on just how hard you plan to flog the poor thing going up against the twin-turbo crowd at the strip. It's no different than buying a turbo car with miles on it. In fact, yours may be in better shape for not having been worked as hard.

On the front cover, you swap out the distributor for the turbo cam sensor, which uses a similar shaft. You also need the turbo balancer and the crankshaft position sensor.

There is one other thing, which might be a bigger problem than your block: the transmission. The turbo used the 200-4R, which to my knowledge was never offered with the NA motor. I believe your '87 has the 200C, which is a pretty weak tranny. A good 200-4R isn't cheap.

The turbo used a beefier flywheel, but those are cheap.

You may also want new differential gearing.

jiho2, Thanks for the advice. I def. plan on bulding the engine to take some abuse. pistons,rods,cam,lifters,etc... However I didnt no that the tranny was different, I assumed that it was a 200-4r. I am starting to grasp a concept of what is going to be needed thanks to the guys on here and I hope it is worth all the footwork and effort that will be put into it.

I have built quite a few engines, but I will be honest when I say turbs are all new to me, hopefully I dont learn the hard way.

I also plan to install different rear, because I have the 7.5 I believe. Anyone no whats involved in swaping for a 400 turbo? Might be a cheaper route.