Mystery part - Turbo Dash Lights

joseywales2

I'm a complete noob, and I have never worked on a car before. I bought a 1984 GN and started working on it. This forum has been great.

The digital dash turbo boost lights did not come on. So I searched and found this helpful thread:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/digital-dash-turbo-lights.414363/#post-3426514

The photo below of the passenger side fender, you can see that the wiring is hooked up to the Hobbs switch.

What is that other wire harness with the green, white and black wires for?

The black tube coming from the Hobbs switch is connected to nothing, and I think it should be connected to the vacuum pod.
IMAG0034.jpg

In the photo below, the black tube/line connected to the vacuum pod is connected to something I don't recognize (mystery part). I have never seen before on any diagram, does anyone recognize it ?
IMAG0039.jpg

In the photo above, there is also a gray wire attached to the mystery part that disappears somewhere below the blower motor.

Below are a couple more photos of the mystery part
IMAG0038.jpg
IMAG0037.jpg

Your mystery part is a vacuum cannister that stores vacuum for the hvac controls. The "grey wire" is actually a had vac line that feeds vac to the hvac controls in the dash. The vac line from your Hobbs sw should be connected to a vac source off the back of the intake...(not the vac block on top of the throttle body)

Connector with the green wire is for the non-existent MAP sensor - for cars that have the tach/boost LED display. That connector is dead and non-functional.

ther are two separate systems that use small "vac tubing" ..... first is vacuum all these line will be attached to the top of the throttle body or "T" ed off of one of these lines. vacuum for heat and air controls, cruise control and pcv. second is manifold pressure ... these lines go to the hobbs switch, waste gate control ,and fuel pressure regulaor. the port for that in located at the back of the manifold below the turbo.

Connector with the green wire is for the non-existent MAP sensor - for cars that have the tach/boost LED display. That connector is dead and non-functional.
Thanks John, it just didn't look right to have a connector, connected to nothing.

Thanks for the diagram too. I have the Chilton's manual for that year but it is short on Turbo Buick information.

You guys did a great job on the digital dash I sent to Caspers.

Maybe you guys could make the flex circuit board on the back of the dash insert :)

i see the mounting ears for bolting the vacuum canister to the HVAC box are broke... mine were, too, but i found out by accident that they used the exact same canister in 87 Chevy Celebrities with the 2.5 engine in it, but they probably also used it in a lot of other GM cars from that era, too.. so you should be able to find one that isn't broken if you have access to a junkyard that has 80's cars in it..

ther are two separate systems that use small "vac tubing" ..... first is vacuum all these line will be attached to the top of the throttle body or "T" ed off of one of these lines. vacuum for heat and air controls, cruise control and pcv. second is manifold pressure ... these lines go to the hobbs switch, waste gate control ,and fuel pressure regulaor. the port for that in located at the back of the manifold below the turbo.
That made a lot of sense Bob. Your reply is really helpful.

i see the mounting ears for bolting the vacuum canister to the HVAC box are broke... mine were, too, but i found out by accident that they used the exact same canister in 87 Chevy Celebrities with the 2.5 engine in it, but they probably also used it in a lot of other GM cars from that era, too.. so you should be able to find one that isn't broken if you have access to a junkyard that has 80's cars in it..
you can get a new one on ebay for around $30 plus shipping. The GM part number is 10018660.