My window fell in the door

imjoesnuffy

I just break stuff!
Was leaving a gas station on the way home from work this week and while lowering the DS window it fell down into the door.

It didn't break the glass. I have the panels off the door right now, but can't seem to find a picture of how everything is supposed to go back together. I can hear the window motor working both up and down, just seems like the window fell off the track.

In the bottom of the door is a large unwound spring/coil, not attached to anything??? I have the Haynes manual, but it just says "If equipped with power windows, take it to a service center" or something like that. Might as well replace the window motors while I have it apart, but I don't know how this thing is supposed to go back together. Anyone have a pic? A link? Or really good at explaining it?

Thanks

I got the window back in the track. I now just need to figure out how the spring goes back on the scissor type regulator. It looks like the stud that connects to regulator to the door is broken off. Is that supposed to to be wleded to the door? I assume the the middle of the spring connects to the stud that is broken off and the other end to the regulator?

Any help much appreciated.

Once that spring becomes unwound you'll never be able to get it back in. You will need a new regulator.

Um.. I though that spring coil thing was only for manual windows thats what kept the pressure so your crank handle would not just spin backwards. If your window fell it was cause the rivet holding the motor broke or the siscor bracket/regulator is bent. If those teeth on the motor are not in contact with the teeth on the regulator the window will just fall down. You can use small bolts with lock washers to mount the motor to the door. I had this problem on my GN when I bought it. If its on or in the door I've taken it apart and or replaced it. Post up some pictures or message me if you need more help.

Um.. I though that spring coil thing was only for manual windows thats what kept the pressure so your crank handle would not just spin backwards. If your window fell it was cause the rivet holding the motor broke or the siscor bracket/regulator is bent. If those teeth on the motor are not in contact with the teeth on the regulator the window will just fall down. You can use small bolts with lock washers to mount the motor to the door. I had this problem on my GN when I bought it. If its on or in the door I've taken it apart and or replaced it. Post up some pictures or message me if you need more help.

After doing some reading here it appears that earlier cars got the clock spring to assist the motor??? My car is an 85, but there was definitely a clock spring in the bottom of the door. It looks like the stud that holds the scissors to the regulator bracket that bolts to the door broke. I have a bolt in place just to hold it there and keep the window up until I can get a replacement regulator.

I did not think there was a differance. The regulator on power windows you have the bar that attaches to the window glass and then you have the scissors with wheels at the end of them and they run along a track. So post up in the part wanted section for it but there should not be a differance from an 85 to an 87s power windows. These where used in all the g body cars. I only have a manual regulator at home that will not help. I converted a donor manual window door to a power window door on my GN. That door was soooooo messed up when I got my car. Rust, locks not working, security light not operating, window falling a real POS. Now it works like new almost..