my trans just STOPED. never had a prior problem ????

civicsmasher3.8

smokin' more than tires
Hi my name is carl i have a 87' buick GN, all stock. I was driving down the road went to floor my car to pass another, as i started to build boost it felt like it went into neutral. I pulled over and everygear was like nuetral. I've never even had my car give me a mis-shift. Now my question is what problems are these tranny's known for I was told that the splines can strip off the imputshaft is this true? I am mechanical but i want to know what all i should look for as a pull my tranny out and when i get it out. If feels like a failed tourque converter but with 60k it just seams weird. One owner car drivin responsibly untill i got my hands on it. Oh and my fluid is clean and red. PLEASE HELP ! :confused:

pull on the tv cable and see if the engine drops 100 or 200 rpms and a slight grown comes from the transmission.if not you broke the pump rotor or converter neck.if the engine drops rpm or trans growns you broke either the forward drum,input shaft ,od carrier or od ring gear which all require removing the trans.the first test can also be omitted by pulling a cooler line and starting the engine to verify oil pump output.need a rebuilt unit you can call in or we have a 200 page rebuild manual for the do it yourselfer so you can repair it.http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98916

i got the tranny apart and found that i stripped the splines off the imput shaft im going to replace the shaft and the converter.. any sugg for bang for buck ??

civicsmasher3.8 said:
i got the tranny apart and found that i stripped the splines off the imput shaft im going to replace the shaft and the converter.. any sugg for bang for buck ??
Get a billet input and overdrive planetary.

civicsmasher3.8 said:

You mean the big shaft sticking out the front pump.... that is called a stator support I think...? ...it is the big shaft that doesn't spin..... the factory one is notorious for wearing the splines out..... there are aftermarket ones available that have been hardened.

Blazer406 said:
You mean the big shaft sticking out the front pump.... that is called a stator support I think...? ...it is the big shaft that doesn't spin..... the factory one is notorious for wearing the splines out..... there are aftermarket ones available that have been hardened.
Good point, i assume most of them have been replaced at this point. Silly me. Thats more than likely the problem.

Hurry up and get that thing back on the road - Kirk and I are wanting to challenge you with our little Ford 4 cylinders!!

sorry yall, im was wrong it was the stator shaft.. any way im going to put my trans back together today.. i ordered an 1800 stall converter, just a lil extra ya know...

bison said:

Me too :confused:

You might reconsider the 1800 stall.... that is for a diesel.... lol

You might opt for a 2800-3000 or so though....

but the stock D5 works pretty decent....

well guys thankyou for all your help, my gn is back on the road and i am disapointed with the 1800 stall. it feels no diff from stock o well **** happens. but it felt ohhhh sooooo gooood to pull out onto the road and roast em. i missed my buick......

civicsmasher3.8 said:
well guys thankyou for all your help, my gn is back on the road and i am disapointed with the 1800 stall. it feels no diff from stock o well **** happens. but it felt ohhhh sooooo gooood to pull out onto the road and roast em. i missed my buick......
Your not going to want to keep that crappy 1800 stall in there. You can find a used low mile D5 stock converter on here if you are on a budget. It will have a big impact on performance.