My steering wheel is upside down....

Aztlanahauc

Well I have a 87 T-type.....it seems the previous owner had the front end rebuilt and now the steering wheel is upside down. I know I can not take it off and put it right side up ..I already tried.. am I going to have to get into the suspension ...

other then that the car drives straight...;)

I think you can disconnect the steering shaft where it enters the steering box. Then you can rotate the steering wheel 180 degrees and bolt it back together. Thats the way my GS works, i've never had the cover off of my WE4. Anyone?

You mean you tried to take it off and couldn't? It should go back on in any position because the splines are the same all the way around the shaft.
The correct way to get it in the center as told to me by the alignment tech that did my alignment is to loosen the adjusting collars going from the center link to the tierod ends and adjust from side to side so it is equal. Then the steering wheel will be centered.
Tarey D.

Alignment could be off, but if the steering wheel is 180 degrees off, the tie rod adjusters would be waaaaay off. Would still drive straight but the tie rod adjustment would be pretty obvious. If you turn the wheel left to right, lock to lock, is there a difference? Otherwise does it take 2 turns to lock turning right and does it take two turns to lock turning left? Get under the car and look at the tie rod ends. If the threads on both sides are about equal to each other, side to side, your steering wheel is 180 degrees off. If one end has less threads showing than the other, take it to an alignment shop.

The splines on the upper steering shaft has a dead spot where there is 2 or 3 splines missing so the steering wheel and lock plate will only go on one way. It is possible to force the wheel down on to the shaft in any position but I think in your case someone hooked up the intermediate steering shaft 180 degrees off. Where your column comes out of the firewall there is a vibration joint on the upper intermediate shaft. Right above it there is a bolt that holds the shaft to the column. Remove the bolt and take the shaft off and turn your steering wheel 180 around and bolt everything back up and you are all set to go.

Before you go adjusting anything make sure the steering box is centered, (steering wheel turns the same amount from center, i.e. turns 2 revolutions both left and right). If the steering box is centered than most likely the previous owner had the steering column worked and it was assembled incorrectly. You don't live to far from me, feel free to call me with any questions. 319-9329.