My Rearend has a GovLock Carrier. WTF?!

RobsIron

Silent but Violent
Rear axle seal was leaking so I ordered some 28 spline Moser axles. Might as well upgrade while I'm in there right? Noticed my carrier is a Eaton GovLok. Anybody like these things? Now I have to decide..just throw the axles in and be done or upgrade to a Eaton Trutrac and go 30 splines or what? This sucks. Didn't want to have to deal with setting up the ring and pinion. Weather is nice here..:D

Attachments

• IMG_20141216_122201000.jpg
    IMG_20141216_122201000.jpg
    450.9 KB · Views: 273
if its a govlock odds are its 30 spline
if it has a good ring gear and its the ratio you want (3.42) you only need to remove carrier and reinstall the ring gear on the new carrier and set the backlash , no reason to touch the pinion

if its a govlock odds are its 30 spline
if it has a good ring gear and its the ratio you want (3.42) you only need to remove carrier and reinstall the ring gear on the new carrier and set the backlash , no reason to touch the pinion

Its a 28 spline. Ring gear is dated 9 85. Wonder if its a 85 non intercooled TR rear that made it into a early 86 like mine. I think a lot the 84 and 85's had the govloks. I am going to keep my 3:42 ring and pinion. Just need to decide if I should buy a new carrier, keep this one or find one out of a 86 & up TR.

9-85 is an 86 , gov lok was used in trucks not passenger vehicles that Im aware of
once they operate above a few mph they disengage and act like an open

Last edited:
9-85 is an 86 , gov lok was used in trucks not passenger vehicles that Im aware of

I thought so too, but I got my info from a search on here last night. I don't know sh!t about the gov locks.

Maybe its spool time. :cool:

I found a gov lock in my 84. I started a thread about it in the hot air section. Everyone said its not factory.

My car lacks the G80 on the option codes, but spins both tires every time through first and second, then kicks to one wheel when you hit drive. Just like the gov locks i have had in the past. Jack up the rear and turn the tires and its just like an open...like a gov lock. This has me inspired to pull the cover and see whats up. I have an 87 clutch lsd to toss in it anyway...

Yeah, the govlocks pop up every now and then in our Regals. Mine is proof and it having 28 splines.

I considered a Powertrax just for ease, but think I'm going with the Eaton Trutrac with Moser 30 spline axles.

Might as well do it right. It deserves it. ;)

Had a truetrac in my truck and loved it, would definitely do it over a govbomb any day. Need to scan an old picture in (feels weird saying that I'm only 26...) of my last govbomb fun :D Axle through the trunk panel

Replaced the last bomb with an Auburn and it while it worked great, loved it, I knew I wouldn't keep that car so I didn't have to maintain that rear after a few years of abuse, the truetrac is maintenance free and I plan on keeping this one so that's my justification.

Had a truetrac in my truck and loved it, would definitely do it over a govbomb any day. Need to scan an old picture in (feels weird saying that I'm only 26...) of my last govbomb fun :D Axle through the trunk panel

Replaced the last bomb with an Auburn and it while it worked great, loved it, I knew I wouldn't keep that car so I didn't have to maintain that rear after a few years of abuse, the truetrac is maintenance free and I plan on keeping this one so that's my justification.

Good to know on the Trutrac. Out of all the reviews I read about it I saw only one complaint. Said couldn't get parts for it. If he broke it he probably needs a spool anyway.

Mine will be here tomorrow!:woot::woot:

Broke it... damn... there isn't many little parts left to break with a TT so he must have had some power

Now I'm sure mine has a gov lock. I stopped about 3 times today. Put right rear tire in the grass, held the brake andgave it a little gas to make it spin. Sure enough, the right rear would spin just a little, and "clunk". In good old gov lock fashion, and it started spinning both tires. But it lacks the G80 on the trunk lid. Does anyone else have a non limited slip option car but with the gov lock carrier?

My guess. Since they were short on posi units in 86, these gov locks were dealer installed when customers requested a posi.

Govlocks in trucks were sketchy. I've seen more than a few die and spit parts out the cover, but usually with bigger tires.

Dealer installed...never considered that. That is a dang good theory. Also explains the lack of the option code.

Im not a fan of the gov lock either. If/when I break it, I will put this limited slip in.

Now I'm sure mine has a gov lock. I stopped about 3 times today. Put right rear tire in the grass, held the brake andgave it a little gas to make it spin. Sure enough, the right rear would spin just a little, and "clunk". In good old gov lock fashion, and it started spinning both tires. But it lacks the G80 on the trunk lid. Does anyone else have a non limited slip option car but with the gov lock carrier?

That's good news. Better than a open dif! Wish I had my orig trunk lid. Its fiberglass now.

My guess. Since they were short on posi units in 86, these gov locks were dealer installed when customers requested a posi.

Govlocks in trucks were sketchy. I've seen more than a few die and spit parts out the cover, but usually with bigger tires.

Makes sense. I haven't seen anything good on them, but mine survived all these years and who knows what it was put through. I going to drag radials so thought it best to upgrade.

I wouldn't 'wait' till it goes, unless you stop driving as soon as you hear a bang. When they 'let go', small damage is the cover and that's it, if you end up like me you'll have axles through body panels, wheel damage, paint damage, etc..., swap it BEFORE it blows to save yourself some heartache ;)