My pet peeve: Gas station air pumps!

Matt Weiser

It's an F.U.V.
I just gotta vent. I hate using those damn coin-op air pumps at gas stations. I really miss the days when gas stations were Service Stations and they had an air compressor in the shop that made real pressure. I have a small portable air cylinder that I like to use at home to keep my tires inflated right, but I can't find anywhere in town to fill the cylinder because the sh*tty coin-op pumps don't make enough pressure! :mad: Besides, they're usually busted.

Is it just me, or does this bother anybody else?

I really don't want to buy my own air compressor, but if I did, how much would I have to spend to get one that will really fill my air cylinder?

Sorry for ranting. Couldn't help it...:rolleyes:

No, it's not just you. I refuse to use those. Course, the station where I usually fill up has had water spraying from the air hose a couple of times - guess they forgot to drain the tank. Anyway, those little, cheap diaphragm pumps that places like WalMart (I think they have one) carry for $25-30 should work. They run off the cigarette lighter and they all brag about 200 or 250 psi pressure, because if they 'fessed up that they are only 0.000001 cfm no one would buy one :). Seriously, one would fill your tank up just fine, you just need the patience to wait for it to finish (my guess, 10-20 minutes?). Or get the $10 foot pump from WalMart (it has a bigger cylinder than the $7 one) and get some exercise. I use it for my airbag and to pump my Nittos back up at the track :).

my beef with these air and water pumps is that you have to PAY for it

my gosh people, you are paying for AIR!!!!! wow......

cause i know the gas stations cant make enough on the outragously priced beer/soda/chips

Originally posted by TylerDurden
cause i know the gas stations cant make enough on the outragously priced beer/soda/chips

Hehe, yeah that's for sure! I walked into an ARCO station this week, threw 20 bucks down for gas and grabbed a Milky Way from the candy rack. The towel-wrapper behind the counter told me the candy bar was going to be a dollar. I laughed and told him to keep it.

I saw that about a month ago when I went to put some air in my trailer tires. Thought to my self SCREW YOU!!!
cheap F*%$#RS I'll get gas somewhere else from now on! :D
Tarey D.

Wait wait.. you don't have an air compressor?!?

Holy smokes man, what are you thinking. Go buy one :)

Originally posted by Matt Weiser

Is it just me, or does this bother anybody else?

I really don't want to buy my own air compressor, but if I did, how much would I have to spend to get one that will really fill my air cylinder?

Sorry for ranting. Couldn't help it...:rolleyes:

This is what happens when you take something for granted. My old shop had an air tower on the side. It was fed by shop air. I cant count how many times people left the air hose on the ground, only to be run over by the next person to yse it, breaking the air chuck off and causing the compressor we use to make money in the shop, to run all night and a few times, ruin the motor by overheating. Sucks to come in in the AM to find the lifts are inop, and your air tools wont be workung today cuz the compressor took a ****. AND the repair place wont be out till tomorrow.

You people (not YOU specifically) caused this all yourselves.
People should have thought of this type of thing when they used someone elses equipment. Maybe YOU didnt leave the hose off the wall, but if you saw it on the ground, did YOU pick it up? If so, but you're 1 in 100 then. Anyway, most shop owners simply got tired of replacing their equipment due to people who just diodnt give a ****, and put in these "aux" air towers, with their own compressor.

FWIW: Shell stations have free air. Its part of their franchise agreement. It might be a cheezy self powered one, but it must be free to the customer.

Jim just found out that immigrations has decided to let me back into the country. :eek: That really pi$$ed in his wheaties!

Just kidding... yah Jim, ya don't sound too happy there. FWIW, I hang up the hose everytime... it's right up there with putting the toilet seat down and putting the cap on the toothpaste!

:p

Originally posted by gn85

Just kidding... yah Jim, ya don't sound too happy there. FWIW, I hang up the hose everytime... it's right up there with putting the toilet seat down and putting the cap on the toothpaste!
:p

;) Chris, I want you to know that real men do not put the toilet seat down. Hey, who's running the house??!! Reminds me of Jack Nickolson in "About Schmidt." His wife made him sit down to pee.

Oh, and what Jim said is a fact. People ruin the equipment, steal the nozzles and gauges and then want to sue if they overinflate and blowup some bald ass tire in their face.

I just read this thread yesterday and I didn't think much about the airpumps. Then today I had to put air in my front tire and it took about 10 minutes to get the tire up to pressure and that doesn't include the time spent spraying the water out of the hose first. To top it off the pump was by a dumpster and surrounded by mosquitos and dumpsters don't smell good in 90* weather. Not fun

Originally posted by Jack Evers
;) Chris, I want you to know that real men do not put the toilet seat down. Hey, who's running the house??!!

Hey Jack,

Real men that want to keep real woman put the toilet seat down. Has nothing to do with who runs the house... when it comes to dinner time or my need of a cold beer during the race and I'm too lazy to leave the TV, that real woman comes in REAL HANDY! :cool:

We're off the subject of gas stations but I have to jump in here. Putting the toilet seat down?? BAH!! Come on now. It's no more a man's responsibility to put the seat down for some broad than it is for her to leave it up for me. Besides I thought women were equal now? I wouldn't want to belittle them with such sexist activities as opening doors for them, paying for their dinners, or leaving the toilet seat down for them. ;)

Re: Re: My pet peeve: Gas station air pumps!

Originally posted by TurboJim
This is what happens when you take something for granted. My old shop had an air tower on the side. It was fed by shop air. I cant count how many times people left the air hose on the ground, only to be run over by the next person to yse it, breaking the air chuck off and causing the compressor we use to make money in the shop, to run all night and a few times, ruin the motor by overheating. .....

You people (not YOU specifically) caused this all yourselves.

Jim, could not have said it any better. I finally just took the air towers down when every day they got damaged. Only consolation was every now and then hearing a loud BANG from the PIA bicycle tire exploding with 100 psi air after a "customer" jammed the pressure indicator!

Don't even get me started on the "free" restrooms - sinks tore off the wall, commodes jammed, floors flooded.....................:mad: :mad: :mad:

Did someone say "the customer is ALWAYS right"!:confused: :D

Re: Re: Re: My pet peeve: Gas station air pumps!

Originally posted by Nick Micale
Don't even get me started on the "free" restrooms - sinks tore off the wall, commodes jammed, floors flooded.....................:mad: :mad: :mad:

Did someone say "the customer is ALWAYS right"!:confused: :D

Heh, yea, I never did figure out the "joke" of ripping the toilet paper machine (which was full) off the wall, taking the thing and dropping it into a freshly filled bowl. Ya gotta wonder who intheir right mind would e so angry or spitedul after being allowed to take the dump of his life in a clean, stocked, heated and air conditioned rest room.

I guess its for the same reason we have slums.

about the toilet seat up/down issue....

why doesn't everyone just use a foot-operated lifting lid? Like those trash cans....

Would keep -everyone- happy. girls could have the lid down. Guys could be lazy and just step on the stupid thing.

Originally posted by stevemon
One of my old buddies bought a C-Store & it had a self-contained free air station at the edge of the drive that didn't work worth a flip. I realy didn't know the guy well at the time but after trying to get a tire aired one time & being frustrated at the length of time it took, I go in the station and make him an offer. He buys the parts & I would rebuild the machine at N/C. Took all of an hour to have that sucker jennin like a champ and I never paid for coffee there again. :D

Now that's how ya do business... coffee payment... beer payment. It's an investment in time that pays off! I like that one Steve.

Fellas,

I was simply making a joke about the toilet seat being up... man y'all are going all sorts of crazy with this! Although some of the suggestions have been comical!

OK.. first off, I do put the seat down. I figure it's polite and I know when somebody else DOES leave it down I don't have to worry about hearing any crap!

As far as the equal rights and women doing things like that too... I do beleive in being a gentlemen, yet I also feel that there should be an equal playing field. Will the playing field ever be TOTALLY equal?? Not any time soon. But for what it's worth.. there are things that I feel are unfair towards the men that should be stood up for. Some petty and stupid... some a little more serious and may deserve a look.

I'll give everyone a petty example, but it's one that I know they don't have there in the states. Personally when I saw this, I laughed at first then I thought, then I actually started asking questions and getting a little ticked.

OK... here in Germany, at the university (and other places as well), they have what is called "frauenparkplätze". Translated... women parking spaces... or women's parking lot! In front of my g/fs university there is are TWO WHOLE LOTS just for women's parking... huge lots. The idea behind this parking lot is that the woman should have a parking lot that is closer to the building, and that is better lit for better security. Now, whenever I go there (with our without her), I see guys parking in this parking lot all the time. At first I thought... don't like it, and it's funny that guys park there too. Then I thought.. wait a minute... why should the women have better security then men? I agree... women are far more likely to be attacked, but shouldn't it be equal security?? Then I actually thought to myself... wait a minute... can I ACTUALLY get a ticket for parking there as a guy?? WHOA!!!I've never actually heard of anyone getting a ticket for parking there and I park there sometimes if no other spaces are available or if I'm with my g/f (or I'm just being lazy). The idea seems stupid to me.... it's almost like saying... "Hello, bad people of the world, here is where you find your victims!!" So... there's my venting.

But in close.. I agree it should be equal... but there's nothing wrong with being a gentlemen and doing things as a simple courtesy.

OK.. 'nuff said. I hope I didn't hijack this thread TOO much.