My new transcooler/lines install with pics

yes you can use 45's. the reason mark and i ran it backwards is so you can run it aross the trans crossmemeber to keep it away from the heat. i think this is the best way. if you dont mind running the lines next to exhaust then the sky is the limit and you can even run it straight forward like the factory did. anyways do what you like with it.

yes you can use 45's. the reason mark and i ran it backwards is so you can run it aross the trans crossmemeber to keep it away from the heat. i think this is the best way. if you dont mind running the lines next to exhaust then the sky is the limit and you can even run it straight forward like the factory did. anyways do what you like with it.

crossmemeber?... :biggrin:

now I understand why the hoses run rearward first... I do however have less room than a TR there... the crossmember is custom to keep the 3" exhaust tight to the floor... I'll jack it up and snap some pics.

Sorry, I use my phone a lot to post so I make a lot of typo's

LOL.. no worries... FYI... as I am about to embark on a MCSS with a simlar line setup, I did discover 2 things...

1) Fuel lines for a SBC-powered G-body run down the passenger side framerail, so the routing in this write-up wont work, and

2) seeing as my app is N/A, the lines can run "straight" from the fittings on the trans to the framerail then up and over wherever they need to go. (no DP and related heat)

Good info for all g-body folks out there...

I ran them that way to get a straighter shot at the hole in the frame I ran them through. Also keeps it away from the downpipe. You can run them any way you want, this was just the way I did it.:)

I ran them that way to get a straighter shot at the hole in the frame I ran them through. Also keeps it away from the downpipe. You can run them any way you want, this was just the way I did it.:)

For an LC2 powered vehicle, youre dead-on as far as your routing. Running back the the crossmember takes the lines away from the heat and the DP (farther back at least) and allows you that straight shot at that hole you routed the lines through.

For an SBC powered vehicle using OE fuel lines, they route through that hole you ran your lines into. This is just info for those that forget that though g-bodies all use the same chassis.. many things difffer, and lots of NON-TR guys read this forum for information as well... m

Fortunately I can route the lines straight out of the trans and towards the frame, then route them up into the engine compartment (maybe via the inner fender) up to the front of the core support/airbox on the MCSS.

Update. One of the hottest summers ever here in the New England area. Just using the supplied thermostat in the cooler wasn't to my liking. Temps would go up around 195 before the fan would come on. I ended up just doing a manual switch for it and when I see the temp in the 160 area I just flip it on and it maintains that. SPAL fans are pretty tough so not worrying about running it too much. Long highway trips on a hot day with non lockup TC and no issues at all. If I could find a lower thermostat switch for it I would switch it out but this is working fine for me as is.

At what temp does you radiator fan kick in?
Maybe you can T off a relay off of the radiator fan to activate the oil cooler's fan circuit???

BTW nice looking set up

I just got a Tru-Cool H7B transmission cooler that I am getting ready to install. I have a FMIC and I'm wondering where everyone is locating their cooler. I'd rather not put it in front of the radiator... Also, should I route the fluid through the radiator or just go from transmission to cooler and back? Thanks.

I just got a Tru-Cool H7B transmission cooler that I am getting ready to install. I have a FMIC and I'm wondering where everyone is locating their cooler. I'd rather not put it in front of the radiator... Also, should I route the fluid through the radiator or just go from transmission to cooler and back? Thanks.
fluid flow
i have mines feeding from the trans INTO the radiator THEN the trans cooler THEN back to the trans.
this is what my trans builder said would work best.

Rad to cooler to trans is correct. fluid coolers are the most effective way of cooling things especially if you have a 160* t-stat. I have my fan cooler under the pass front valance. I dont stand on the converter too much, but i've only heard it kick on 2-3 times after standing on the converter for a good bit of time! granted the trans took 3+ gallons of fluid on the initial fill (extra large pan). ;)

Nice job Mark!
Since you got rid of the stock trans. lines that have the male end on them (going into the radiator), what size fittings did you install into the radiator? Do you have a P/N for them? I thinking about doing the same thing, but don't know the thread size to the radiator. Thanks!

Hi Mark,
How did you hook up the hoses from the transmission to the radiator? Any pics? What fittings did you use?

I did a little leg work since I haven't found too many answers for what the thread size is for transmission lines coming from the radiator. The radiator lines are 5/16in. O.D. Tube, that have male inverted flares on the end. The thread size for a 5/16in. O.D. inverted tube is 1/2-20 thread.

Your welcome only reason I knew Is I'm about to do mine and decided to re-read the whole thing thanks mark for sharing just wish mark would market these he would have no problem selling them ready to install but I do appreciate his attention to detail and sharing still makes it easier for the rest of us ! Again thanks Mark:)