My new hobby/project

turbobuick

Staff member
I thought I would share with you guys my latest project. It is 1957 Chris Craft Sportsman 17'. I stumbled across it locally on Craig's List and it seemed liked a really good deal so I took the plunge. While its not a Buick I have always wanted one of these boats. I grew up on Conneaut Lake Pa, and have always wanted one of these old mahogany boats. There were a ton of old Chris Craft and Century's running around on that lake when I was a kid and there are still quite a few of them today, plus it is a hobby my family will participate in more than drag racing, lol

I got lucky and found a guy local to me that does restorations. He has done a number of really high $$ boats that have won numerous awards. Better yet he is a retired GM/Packard guy that does it in his shop behind his house so he is pretty reasonable in price.

The boat ended up being in better shape than originally anticipated with VERY little rot, which never happens. I bought it as an unfinished project a guy started with his son that lost interest. We are putting a no leak no swell 5200 bottom on it along with new decking and a transom. The side planks are iffy we may keep them or replace them depending on where we are cost wise.

The boat was a highly optioned boat with the KFL flat head tri card inline 6 cylinder making a whopping 131hp:eek: Parts for this motor are extraordinarily expensive so I am not sure if I am putting back together or not. I was thinking of putting a 5.3 LSX motor in what do you guys think:biggrin:;)
IMAG0270.jpg

IMAG0273.jpg

IMAG0278.jpg

IMAG0279.jpg

IMAG0284.jpg

Chris,

That is VERY cool! I bet once refinished that wood will look amazing!

Best of luck!

hello; I've never owned a boat and I only been out a few times ocean and fresh water. I know what a Chis Craft is and it's one of favorite boats. Good luck with the job but boating is not my thing. Keep posting and it will be interesting.
IBBY

great find and very classy boat, spent every summer on speed boats,the last one was a 30ft cig with twin 502's,altho nice and fast...i loved watching the oldies go by..

gonna look awesome..

great hobby got three boats one airboat two bassboats live on the water in south fla.so fishing is a every day thing for me its very theraputic no traffic no azzclowns! just you a cooler full of cold ones on ice and nature priceless!

Wow!

Very sexy. Hope you can keep the flat head. Post pics as the build progresses.:cool:

Mike Barnard

Very sexy. Hope you can keep the flat head. Post pics as the build progresses.:cool:

Mike Barnard

Agreeing with Mke on keeping the stock engine, but if you can't, you may be able to use the old Kaiser Huricane inline as a substitute. A little more modern and parts should be cheaper and keep it looking almost stock.:cool:

Agreeing with Mke on keeping the stock engine, but if you can't, you may be able to use the old Kaiser Huricane inline as a substitute. A little more modern and parts should be cheaper and keep it looking almost stock.:cool:

LOL, the LSx comment was tongue in cheek. The boat was originally equipped with the top of the line 131hp KFL inline 6. The motor I got with the boat is a 95hp K model:( The 1959 Sportsman is the exact same boat AND it could be had with the 185hp 283 V8, which is more my style:cool: And it would still be period correct for the boat.

I am probably not putting the $$ into the model K engine I have but if I can find a compete KFL reasonable I may buy it but I;m not holding my breath. I believe cores are in the $3500 range. The Chris Craft 283 flywheel forward manual trans engine in good running condition can be bought for $1000 or less and they are pretty plentiful and drops right it place of the K series motor use same trans etc. PLus I can buy all the parts to rebuild it at Summit:biggrin:

Here are some pics from tonight. He got the boat flipped over and took the bottom off to be replaced with the new "5200" bottom. The boat in the background is a 1956 Century Coronado which the only wood he saved was a the keel and the engine stringers!
SU1BRzAzNjAuanBn.jpg

SU1BRzAzNjEuanBn.jpg

SU1BRzAzNjIuanBn.jpg

Aaaaahhh heck!

Just drop a Turbo Buick engine in it and be done with it.:p

Mike B.

It's a small world! My great uncle was an owner/restorer of one of these wooden Cris Crafts on Conneaute Lake. I remember those beautiful boats fondly. I'd love to have one here. We get to use them a lot more in NC!

Chris,

That will look cool when done!!

What is your total budget?

I say '55 Nomad... :biggrin:

I still regret not buying that blue '69 from you!!!! :rolleyes:

Chris, really nice boat, will be a beauty on the water. Lots of those old boats and parts up in this area. The old factory is still standing in Algonac. I have seen more than a couple with the V8 that had the 60's finned Corvette valve covers which I thought looked pretty classy. Maybe a 60's era 327 would be cool? One of those huge Buick wagons from the 60's would be a neat way to drag it around too.
Mike

Chris, really nice boat, will be a beauty on the water. Lots of those old boats and parts up in this area. The old factory is still standing in Algonac. I have seen more than a couple with the V8 that had the 60's finned Corvette valve covers which I thought looked pretty classy. Maybe a 60's era 327 would be cool? One of those huge Buick wagons from the 60's would be a neat way to drag it around too.
Mike

Mike,
Im stilling looking for a Chris Craft 283 if you see one up there for sale LMK. I've been checking the Detroit Craigs list as you guys have a ton of that stuff for sale up there.

Boat project is moving right along. Actually the guy is flying with it. I only wish my chassis guy was half as fast as this guy.:rolleyes:

He has the bottom compete and was getting ready to paint it the day I took these pics. It is a no soak no leak 5200 bottom. Transom and side planks are on and after he paints the bottom he is going to flip it back over and finish the decking and interior. He hopes to be varnishing it in December or early January sometime. I'm gonna need a motor soon and still haven't found one.
SU1BRzA1MTAuanBn.jpg

SU1BRzA1MTEuanBn.jpg

SU1BRzA1MTIuanBn.jpg

SU1BRzA1MTMuanBn.jpg

That looks like a great project. I love the sound of the v-drive with a thruhull exhaust. I know it's a chrysler but it is just knarly to me. I couldn't see having a wood boat. The upkeep seems tremendous. Beautiful to see. Keep the pix coming!

I'd like a 'glass one like this one.
[video=youtube_share;Hxdc4xPYHsc]http://youtu.be/Hxdc4xPYHsc[/video]