My kid brother

DCEPTCN

Smasher-Devourer
My brother Jonathan has done work with the volunteer fire dept. in Shorewood, Il. and served recently in the middle east as a Corporal in the U.S. Marines. He's the guy I always call first when something's wrong with my car because he's a great mechanic. Strangely, I've often looked up to my little brother (24 years old) as if I were the kid. He married a nice girl from Il. who followed him out to Oceanside, CA. He has always been an extremely hard worker, most recently for Temp Power in So Cal. I recently met a few friends of his who told me stories about him and what a ****ing hero he has been to so many people. This past weekend I heard a lot of stories that made me incredibly proud of the boy. Unfortunately, the reason I was in CA. unexpectedly and talking to his friends out there is because on 7/31, when the kid was working (on a Saturday, no less) somebody (supervsor?) apparently didn't shut something off when they said they were going to and my little brother was killed instantly by electrocution. I have an investigator in CA. checking this out and I know very little about the circumstances as of yet........I'm told there is some stupid law in CA that prevents employers from being sued. I don't know. He is the third person in our five member family who has gone way too early. I'm not sure why I am posting this.....I guess just because it is the best way I can think so far to shout the loudest about what an awesome guy my brother was.....and at the same time publicly vow that I am gonna eat someone's heart for this.

JRK 6/1980 to 7/31/04

not sure what to say, sorry for your families loss, I served 2 tours in 2 theatres in the middle east.....
Semper Fidelis
Jeff (USN SeaBee)

Sorry for your loss. I'm sure there is a Cal OSHA investigation and report that was generated by the accident (since it occrured at the workplace), maybe a call to them may provide some legal guidance. Again, sorry for your loss.

My condolences to you and your family.
There is alwasy cause fo recourse. Unfortunately, sometimes it is cost prohibitive.
You may not get any renumeration personally, but perhaps you could make the negligent party create and maintain some sort of fund. Maybe for the families of Marines who have lost the primary bread winner. Just a thought...

Very sorry to hear about your loss... It sounds like he was a genuine good person and he will surely be missed by those that knew him...

My thoughts and condolences go out to you and your family!

Take care.

Steve

OMG....I'm SO sorry...I don't know what I would ever do if I lost one of my brothers. :(

Best of luck getting justice.:mad:

Sylvan

Bro, I am to sorry to hear about this!

I being a Marine and knowing you personnaly and just finding out your brother was a Marine makes it that much worse.

My deepest condolences goes out to you and your family, I know what it's like loosing a brother, hang in there and remember, he's in a better place than we are now.

Please do keep us all informed about what is going on with the investigation, and if you need anything from me on my end, don't hesitate to ask.

Ray

Sylvan,

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Losing a loved one is probably the hardest thing any of us will ever go through. There are some great bereavement boards out there that can be very helpful w/ your healing process. One thing to keep in mind, you never have to "get over" your loss. I hate when people say that. Think of him often and keep his memory close to your heart.

My deepest sympathies,

Steve.

My deepest sympathies as well and I am so sorry for your loss. Makes me weak to think about it.

You might want to think about contacting a California personal injury lawyer. Maybe your investigator could recommend one. I think what you're talking about is California worker's compensation law limiting recovery against an employer, but I think in the case of gross negilgence that can be overcome.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. One thing that got a smile out of me was something that a friend of his told me: Regardless of how much smack we would talk on the phone (he was a Mustang guy) he secretly wanted a GN. One of the primary motivations for building up/restoring this GN was to make my little bro proud, so I will be continuing on with the project. I might even buy his Mustang from his wife someday.

Originally posted by Jack Evers
My deepest sympathies as well and I am so sorry for your loss. Makes me weak to think about it.

You might want to think about contacting a California personal injury lawyer. Maybe your investigator could recommend one. I think what you're talking about is California worker's compensation law limiting recovery against an employer, but I think in the case of gross negilgence that can be overcome.
This is all along the lines of what I am thinking. I have very little 'game plan' as of yet because I just want to take some time to think. When the investigator gets back to me, I'll start planning.

Please don't forget that there is probably a Cal OSHA report either being generated or in process. I'm sure the investigator can get his hands on that report (it is public record). OSHA insures safety in the workplace. Any time there is an workplace accident, you can bet your bottom dollar that an OSHA inspector will be on site to assess the situation. This may not bring your loved on back (and again, my condolences go out to you and your family), but OSHA may help your cause with their report.

Originally posted by gofstbuick
Please don't forget that there is probably a Cal OSHA report either being generated or in process. I'm sure the investigator can get his hands on that report (it is public record). OSHA insures safety in the workplace. Any time there is an workplace accident, you can bet your bottom dollar that an OSHA inspector will be on site to assess the situation. This may not bring your loved on back (and again, my condolences go out to you and your family), but OSHA may help your cause with their report.
This has been duly noted, and I appreciate your input as any new avenues are helpful. I'm trying to dig up a phone number for them right now.

Occupation Safety and Health Administration-CAL (Cal OHSA): 916-263-2800. Federal Osha is 916-566-7470