My first tranny Issue, please help

LI6pack

Hey team,

I have an 87 GN with about 30K on it, mostly stock accept for some "bolt on's" Most current action it's seen is the inside of my garge accept for the weekly cruise. Lately I've been experiencing shift problems when hot. I installed a tranny coolers about 15+ years ago so everyone knows. Problem is around downshifting when slowing down, seems its getting stuck in a higher gear until I actually come to a full stop. Then when I've been driving for about a half hour, the upshifts now are affected.

Just had a complete tune up, including changing the tranny filter and fluid. Problem still exisits, really stinks. I live in Nassau County New York and read about Turbo Buick Performance in Valley Stream as a recommenrdation. Just wanted to get a broad view, very sad day!

Let me know please, thank you in advance Frank

I have the VERY SAME problem!! Ive had my TTC go bad on my GN but now my T is doing this. Its very similar but I too am having problems with the upshift once I come to a stop! Its only when its hot!!! Im hoping it is the TCC but when the one in my GN went it still would upshift. I have the pan off now and things look good inside. I bought a new TCC (aftermarket) just have not had a chance to install it yet. Ive been checking around to see if I should replace anything else while I have the pan off so Ive held out from fixing it. That write up from the Monte page is GREAT I have used it for my procedure so far BTW I did not get a drop of fluid on my head like it said in the article :D

I was having the same issue. Thought tranny was shot but after some troubleshooting, I suspected the TCC. I did this tonight in my 87 GN. I used the 700R4 TCC solenoid kit. Problem solved. Comes with spacer studs for the 200R4. I used a Borg Warner. Nice kit. Ran me $35 at AA.

I was having the same issue. Thought tranny was shot but after some troubleshooting, I suspected the TCC. I did this tonight in my 87 GN. I used the 700R4 TCC solenoid kit. Problem solved. Comes with spacer studs for the 200R4. I used a Borg Warner. Nice kit. Ran me $35 at AA.
Hey guys,this is great news. Thanks a ton. I'm having Dave H take a look maybe this weekend. TCC sounds like a logical culprit and I hope it is since I have so few miles on it. I'll let everyone know. Also the frigin power antenna just crapped out the same day. Can't complain, these are the first issue ever with my car. Not bad after 24 years of perfect service!

Update on problem solved, fingers crossed!

All,

Appears the changing of the TCC solved the issue I was having. All seems to be working the correct way. As luck would have it though, i noticed a little raditor fluid under the car, thinking the hoses i changed maybe weren't tight enough, no big deal, to find out the was the WATER PUMP! so that wsa replaced yesterday as well.

Special thanks to Dave Husek for his help on my tranny issue. He saved me a ton and returns calls immediately.

It is now time to drive, maybe race. Still afraid to punch it though. Ciao for now.

tcc

For what is worth, i just did my transmission. I changed the filter and fluid. The trans control solenoid went smooth once i got the right part. The walk thru helped alot.