My first TR, did I get a good one?

jibbs

I have been lurking around this board for what seems to the past 2 or 3 years and finally made a account 8-12 months ago. I have always wanted a GN but could never find the right one within my budget at any given time. Well Dec comes around and I keep seeing a add for a 1987 Regal Limited T-Type, within an hour of my house. Someone selling a car like this in MI in Dec is definitely a motivated seller, so I took a friend of mine out there who has owned a few and knew where to look at for the problem areas, knew how they run and what to expect out of it. The car had not been plated for 3 years and I doubt had been driven much lately if at all.We test drove it, my buddy said it was slightly faster than a stock on, but I expected that because it only had a fuel pump, hot-wire kit, 93 chip of unknown make, and blue top injectors (36 lbs?), and a fuel pressure gauge by the rails. Shifted better than any TR my buddy has ever driven, so that was nice. The car came with 4 volumes of service manuals, all original paperwork, including the window sticker (looks like it was on paper from the 1800s and still had one suction cup and holder), and ever single receipt for all work done to the car (i.e. replaced parts, warranty info, performance parts, the whole nine yards).

Its not perfect by any means, but it is nice. Its going to need some interior pieces replaced, and a new vinyl top (cracked and sun faded) put on but other than it looks pretty good. I just wanted to know what you guys thought about these and if it had any kind of rarity to it? I'm kind of digging the car now and kind of like the fact that no one notices it at all. Let me know what you guys think about it. I'm going to address mods and what not over winter, would like to make it a low 11 car, but not if I'm destroying something rarer than I think it might be or not realistic for a column shifted car. I feel like I'm taking out grandpas car every time I hit the road.

On a side note, I have a feeling/know that I have some vacuum issues. The HVAC only blows vent, don't have a high setting on it either, cruise doesn't work, and sometimes when it starts it goes up to 3-3.5k then back down to something normal. I know I'm going to have go though it and am prepared to do so, those are just some little things that need to get sorted out.

Thanks for your input and support,
Nick

photo(1).JPG
photo(2).JPG

photo.JPG

Definitely a limited production car. - http://www.gnttype.org/general/product.html
Since you've been on the board awhile, you probably have heard that website mentioned. Good reference as well as www.vortexbuicks-etc.com
Doesn't seem to have the g80 posi rear end, but you could always swap one in later.
Nothing so rare that you shouldn't modify it if you like. Only feels like grandpa's till you hit the gas.. perfect sleeper.
Looks like a nice car, congrats.

I love it! The landau top and the chrome and the great color. Make it fast but don't touch the outside, It's perfect!!!
You will avoid a lot of unwanted attention.

Nice find, they only made 1035 turbo T limiteds like ours, its the rarest 87 TR made except for the gnx.

Very nice... :) How many miles are on it & how much did you get her for? (if you don't mind sharing)

It has 105.5k on it and the winter special was 4.7k. I think it was a good deal but maybe not. I would have to believe that the car is worth more like 7-9k but I didn't get it to flip it. I believe the owner original was a horrible smoker. I have time and faith I will be able to get the damaged parts replaced to factory in a year or so, but the dash is mint, which was big for me. While the exterior is in great condition minus the top, the interior is super sun faded, the trim is oxidized, and the door panels have a ton of cigarette burns. Headliner is sagging as is to be expected. But the engine is super clean, spotless really. I can tell that the vacuum lines are on my list of to-dos as if you handle them, they leave that black dust on your fingers. Im just having fun with it for the next couple of days, so long as the snow is well into the forecast.

Nice looking car. Obviously some paintwork with the tape lines on the trunk label but it looks nice and presentable. Bumper fillers are intact, are they fiberglass replacements? If so that's a good thing. Go to gnttype.org and read up on the spring cleaning. That would be a really good process to take the car through.

John Larkin said:
Nice looking car. Obviously some paintwork with the tape lines on the trunk label but it looks nice and presentable. Bumper fillers are intact, are they fiberglass replacements? If so that's a good thing. Go to gnttype.org and read up on the spring cleaning. That would be a really good process to take the car through.

X2

Am I reading this correctly that you picked it up for 4.5 k? If so that was given away. The fun factor of turbo limiteds is off the charts because it is a wolf in sheep's clothing. I would have payed 9 for that for sure.

Use coffee beans to help to get rid of stale smoke smell. Looks like a good deal for the money.