My El Camino Hybrid...(56k warning)

DaveLC2

I figured it's time to make an offical post on my project. This project has been going on for too long. I am on a mission to get it done ASAP. It's far too easy to get side tracked on something else and lose interest. I have to give my buddy Steve (SBorel) big props for helping me with this project for the past 4 yrs! I also wanted to thank Dean, Mark and the rest of the gang from NorCalGN. If I had a bigger budget I would make it cleaner for sure. For now I want to get it on the road, broken in.

My car started off as a 1986 Buick Regal T-type until some a$$hole stole it and it was recovered totalled 2 months later. I was able to settle with my insurance and purchase the wrecked car back since the drivetrain was fully intact and unharmed by the damage. I actually drove around with it all f'd up for a bit. Than after figuring out it would cost well over $10,000 to repair the body and frame damage I decided to do a swap.

One day I went to a local tow yard and drove away with a running driving currently registered 86 Buick Regal with a V8. The car even passed smog! This was a V8 car and of course had a mechanical fuel pump and smaller fuel lines thank the SFI turbo V6. I picked up this car for $450 and the only real problem is that reverse was hurt. I even loaned the to my late friend to commute to the Bay Area from Modesto when his only driver broke down for a few weeks and it was totally trouble free. A little old lady backed into this car after I just had a tire replaced before I was going to go to Santa Cruz and put a nice dent in the rear quarter panel! She also ran but since she had just got service done at Walmart they had all of her info and a tech witnessed the whole thing. The police paid her a visit and her insurance gave me a check for $700! That car rotted away while building the engine. There were just too many things going against it so I turfed it. It would've made a great spare car for my mom or something.

Then one day I was at a thrift store looking for vintage boomboxes when I saw a pretty clean looking 1985 Chevy El Camino with a 4.3L fuel injected
V6. Being it was already fuel injected it saved a lot of time and hastle for the fuel system. This is the final Hybrid car. I purchased it for only $975 and it too was currently registered and passed smog on the first go. It actually barely passed though. The cruck is in need of some detailing attention since it has been sitting for a couple of years. I actually drove it around for a few months before we pulled the drivetrain and sold it on craigslist. Well that's about it for now. I will let the pics do the rest of the explaining.

Pic of my 86 T-type just before I purchased it.

4osxhs4.jpg

Pic of motor in T-type before removal

521jjaa.jpg

Pic of LC2 removal from T-type aka Desert Storm

4ozelxy.jpg

Ready for tear down

6apkd1w.jpg

Dirty and stripped

6gsnxu1.jpg

Dirty and stripped 2

4r2zyv6.jpg

So fresh so clean clean

6ftvccn.jpg

So fresh so clean clean 2

54in0k1.jpg

Bottom end before

6csogsn.jpg

Bottom end after

5z3gcp0.jpg

LOOKIN GOOD!!!!:eek: thats fuct up someone stole your baby.... the original color/car looks awesome. I gotta a friend in the local club that has the same color.

Original swap car. - 1986 Buick Regal Limited V8 aka ProjectBlk86

6b1wwba.jpg

Final swap car - 1985 Chevrolet El Camino Conquesta w/4.3L V6 swapped for LC2 power.
4zk3v38.jpg

Right side

5x634w1.jpg

Old 4.3L V6

6b2669j.jpg

Getting yanked

5xqolkh.jpg

4.3 Less

4vrziwi.jpg

LC2 going in

6aiv252.jpg

In place

660y52g.jpg

The next few images are of the motor and componants coming along.

4yqpke0.jpg

4kmq8bd.jpg

53il43t.jpg

4ozayqw.jpg

Cleaned up the catback with Simple Green tweeker style. Stills needs a little more cleaning.

4yq7w5i.jpg

Tranny & torque converter installed

62zbsxl.jpg

Well that pretty much brings me up to date in a nutshell.

Nice!

I have a spare complete running engine and trans from 87 TR. I was thinking of doing an El Camino swap or a 90-92 Mustang Notch.

Time for a long awaited update. The car now running and I am super excited!!! It's been far too long since I've driven some LC2 power on a regular basis. Big thanks to Sborel, Dean, Mark, Jerry, Kenny and the rest NorCal GN group here in the Bay Area. They have all been great with puting up with me over the years ;) Anyway, here are some pics of the car as it sits now.

4757161761a10297952687o.jpg

4757161761a10297952166o.jpg

4757161761a10297952810o.jpg

4757161761a10297952552o.jpg

4757161761a10297952321o.jpg

4757161761a10297952905o.jpg

4757161761a10297953018o.jpg

4757161761a10297952453o.jpg

Can't wait until mine looks like that.

Two questions... Did you shorten the driveshaft? Does the Regal wiring harness plug directly into the El Camino body harness (the square connector on the driver side firewall)?

after thousands of dollars i see spent i think i see a duralast battery

i tell my customers to throw them away due to the problems we always get with them

Wow, this bad ass car and all you have to say is ditch the battery? Tunnel vision you have sir.

Back to the topic, this car is VERY well done man good job!! Any kind of radiator moving or any kind of cutting needed to get this together?

Can't wait until mine looks like that.

Two questions... Did you shorten the driveshaft? Does the Regal wiring harness plug directly into the El Camino body harness (the square connector on the driver side firewall)?

The El Camino driveshaft (beefier than the T-type's) was shorthend 1" at local driveshaft shop (Props to SBorel) and the cost was only $100 with new u-joints.

Steve did all of the wiring on the car and he had to add 2 or 3 circuits. We've done a little something different and used the orignal El Camino dash instead of the T-type one for the sleeper look.

after thousands of dollars i see spent i think i see a duralast battery

i tell my customers to throw them away due to the problems we always get with them

Yeah this is NOT the battery that I will driving the car around with. This was just a battery laying around to get it started and the cam broke in etc. The car only has about 2 miles on it with this set up currently.

Wow, this bad ass car and all you have to say is ditch the battery? Tunnel vision you have sir.

Back to the topic, this car is VERY well done man good job!! Any kind of radiator moving or any kind of cutting needed to get this together?

Thanks a bunch man! I don't recall doing any cutting to get the radiator in there. It's an aluminum f-body radiator. I have a dual fan set up (Intrepid based) but have decided to stick with stock for the time being. How's your Chevelle doing? I remember following your build up thread a while back. Pretty cool Hybrid indeed.

What you said on the battery is funny. My last AZ battery lasted 8 years instead of the 7 year warranty. It's all about making sure it's maintained more than anything else.

The conector at the firewall is the same on the el camino but terminals/wires are missing for the fan ign feed, and fuel pump power feed. I added coilpack power circuit(7.5a) with a fuse holder wired to fuse box ign spade. Did the same with injector power/ fuel pump relay primary. A complete wiring diagram of both vehicles is essential as well as power probe 3. The chevy dash is worth the extra effort, plus swaping a dash is PIA. I like the fact it actually has guages, and some circuits are direct bolt on like check engine and ALDL.

Steven

the f-body radiator is a direct bold on deal, just move the rubber pads on the lower radiator support. The stock upper and lower rad. hoses are used.(used new parts) The stock tranny cooler lines wont bolt up, but will need adapters and some short hi pressure rubber lines, no big deal. I used the clampless weatherhead style from NAPA, get the "good stuff", man i watch way too much speed channel.....

Steven

The conector at the firewall is the same on the el camino but terminals/wires are missing for the fan ign feed, and fuel pump power feed. I added coilpack power circuit(7.5a) with a fuse holder wired to fuse box ign spade. Did the same with injector power/ fuel pump relay primary. A complete wiring diagram of both vehicles is essential as well as power probe 3. The chevy dash is worth the extra effort, plus swaping a dash is PIA. I like the fact it actually has guages, and some circuits are direct bolt on like check engine and ALDL.

Steven

Sounds simple. You don't have the wiring diagrams off hand, do you?