My car pulls hard to the left when I apply the brakes ?

turbotaone

I took my TTA out for a drive last week and when I put the brakes on the car pulled to the left. I went back home and put the front of the car up on jackstands and bled the front calipers. While I had the car off the ground I spun both the front wheels at the same time and had my brother apply the brakes and the left brake would always grab first. I cleaned the pads and rotors with brake cleaner thinking that there might be grease on one of them.
I took the car for another drive and it stills pulls hard to the left. The pads are in good shape and they both release when you let off the brakes, I didn't get any air out of the bleeders either.
Anyone have any suggestions on what could be causing this ?

Thanks
James

Sounds like the flex line going to the calipers, you sould do both a the same time. They start to swell after time and causes this to happen. HTH

I had this a couple of years back and turned out to be one of the pistons in one of the calipers slightly seized and would move only slightly when I applied hard pressure on the brakes. Took the caliber apart and the piston took some work to remove, then cleaned the piston and bore and put it all back together and it worked fine after that.

Thanks Guys, I'll try both of your suggestions. I did replace one of the flex lines(left side) last year just before I put the car away for the winter,so tomorrow I'll go order the line for the other side and hopefully that will solve the problem, if not I'll tear into the caliper.

If you just remove the caliper and then you should be able to push back the pistons (both should move smoothly) with a large pair of plyers or similar, then push the break padel carefully to move the pistons out and again use the plyers to move the calipers in again. If they move freely without any problems they are fine, if any of them is binding or really hard to push back into the bore you have to sort it out.

Also check to make sure there are no leaks around the pistons. If one side is leaking the other side will grab first because of the difference in pressure.

brake pull

Hi ,
I agree that these brake hoses crap out on a regular basis.It happened on my car, causing very erratic braking. Always change them as a set. I would also change the rear brake hose. It's an interesting problem...
Dale

turbotaone said:
I took my TTA out for a drive last week and when I put the brakes on the car pulled to the left. I went back home and put the front of the car up on jackstands and bled the front calipers. While I had the car off the ground I spun both the front wheels at the same time and had my brother apply the brakes and the left brake would always grab first. I cleaned the pads and rotors with brake cleaner thinking that there might be grease on one of them.
I took the car for another drive and it stills pulls hard to the left. The pads are in good shape and they both release when you let off the brakes, I didn't get any air out of the bleeders either.
Anyone have any suggestions on what could be causing this ?

Thanks
James

I am having the same exact problem where it pulls hard to the left! I was wondering if you found out what it was,was it the caliper pistons sticking or the brake hoses?

Where can you buy brake hoses for these cars? Advance Auto,Pep Boys,etc or is there a special vendor?

Also where can you get a rebuild kit for the calipers?

Thanks,
Joe

I did replace one of the flex lines(left side) last year

James, Sounds like you found the most likely source for your pull. I think once you get a new line on the passenger side the pull will be gone.

Just a couple of questions:

Did it pull before you replaced the line?

Why did you replace the line?

good luck,

Dave

I replaced the flex(rubber)lines going to the calipers and the problem is gone,in fact it feels like a whole different car now. It stops much quicker and straight as an arrow. Dave,the reason I replaced just the one line at first was because(don't ask) I burnt it while working on the car. But even before I replaced the line the car was all over the road when the brakes were applied. I went ahead and replaced the three rubber hoses in the back also,there is one on each caliper and one at the "T" over the differential.

Joe, I ordered my lines from NAPA(about $100 for all five),but Advanced said they could get them also. TTA's have a special braking system, so make sure they look up the right ones.

James

I'm glad to hear that it fixed the problem. I was hoping that you would say your car was all over the place while braking as the reason for replacement. Mine does the same thing, so now when I get back home in a few months I can change them to hopefully fix my problem.

Did you replace any of the steel lines? Just wondering because my engine is out right now and I know the line to the passenger caliper would be a pain to change with the engine in.

Dave

No, I just replaced the rubber lines because they supposedly swell shut over time causing the erratic braking. I inspected my metal lines when I had my engine out and they looked fine.

James