My Buick is missing

regsell

I recently bought a 1987 WE4 and it has been sitting for about the last 10 years. It has two weak cylinders but the compression is good. I pulled the spark plug wire and you can hear the change in the cylinder. Does anyone have any suggestions about what the problem might be. Is it the injectors? I know about GS 455's but the V6's are all new to me. Thanks. :confused:

I moved this thread to the Tech section (where it belongs). You should get more responses here. By the way, welcome to the TurboBuick.com.

Disconnecting the spark plug wire while the engine is running is a sure way to get a nice jolt of electricity :eek: , not to metion that way spark ignition uses the block as a ground to fire the cylinder on its compression stroke. If the electricity does not have a path to complete, the voltage returns back to the module. Good way to give RedRegalT some business by selling you a new module and or coil pack. Get a scan tool and let us know how whats going on. There are a lot of great members on this board that are more than willing to offer great advice for your situation.

Dont get your question..If you pull the wire and hear a change in rpm, then that cylinder is firing. By the way, I have seen plenty of cars, including several of my own, that would make no change in rpm when the plug wire was pulled, yet those cylinders were firing.

regsell said:
I recently bought a 1987 WE4 and it has been sitting for about the last 10 years. It has two weak cylinders but the compression is good. I pulled the spark plug wire and you can hear the change in the cylinder. Does anyone have any suggestions about what the problem might be. Is it the injectors? I know about GS 455's but the V6's are all new to me. Thanks. :confused:

If you pull a wire off, then yes it will die off.....
I agree, what is the question???
Dont want to be a smartass, but if you pull a plug, then yes it will sound different because it running on 5 not 6...

Glad to help, post back and let us know
BW

If the compression is good, install new plugs. If it still misses, clean the injectors, plus a new fuel filter won't hurt. If it still misses, check for vacuum leaks. Hoses & rubber parts will still break down while sitting.

-Mike H.

misfire?

Hi,
I'm not sure I understand the problem. Is your engine running rough? Definite misfire? It's good that you have OK compresion, but these cars are notorious for secondary ignition problems. If it's a dead cylinder at IDLE,that's usually pretty easy. Under load, at high rpms, not always so.Also, fuel pressure under boost is critical. Buick made it easy for us; test port on the fuel rail is a nice feature. Give us more information, and I'm certain all these good people on the website will be happy to help. Good luck!

Don't try removing spark plug wires on these engines with the engine running. They can produce enough voltage to knock you on your A$$.

Here is how to diagnose an engine miss on these engines:

Get the engine hot and idling at a constant speed.
Disconnect the IAC motor ( the square 4 wire connector at the bottom of the throttle body).
Remove each injector connector from the injector one at a time and note how the rpm changes.
The cylinder that drops the least is your problem cylinder.

Coil packs (a set of 3 ignition coils) are known problems. You can do a quick check with an ohmeter across the secondary posts. All 3 packs should be very close in resistance to each other. If you find any that are open, replace the coil pack. Plugs and wires are also prime suspects....I'd replace them with AC Delco parts (personal preference) to be sure they are good.

If your secondary ignition checks out good, then it's time to run a compression or better yet a leak down check.

You may have one or more injectors that are slightly plugged or restricted. You can remove them, send them out to be cleaned, tested and flowed. Kinsler Fuel injection and plenty other vendors offer this service.

If these things don't solve the problem, you may have a cam lobe going away. But I'd start with the simple things first.

I put 2 and 2 together and realize this thread from the email you sent me.
Hopefully the info i sent you is good enough to get the car back on the road, please post and let us know the problem, we are here to help.

BW

regsell said:
Hmmmmm

Sitting for 10 years.............

If I were a hydraulic lifter sitting with a pushrod applying pressure holding a spring compressed and a valve open for 10 years, I would be applying for disability.

Just an idea, but not too many people have had much luck with stock springs after this many years and with the engine sitting in the same position for that long, I can't see how the lifters would still be good either.

My car sat for 4 years and seems ok....although I'm sure it could be in better shape than it is. Could probably use a valve spring change after having one or 2 valves sitting open for 4 years. But it does idle ok and has plenty of power. It does seem to go flat above 5000rpm though. 10 years is a hell of a long time though. A spring would "cold flow" and yield after being compressed so long. It would lose most of its strength. You should follow that advise and change the lifters and valve springs. It would probably really wake that motor up. There is a spring in hydraulic lifters that would also go sour.

I figured out why my Buick is missing

The problem with the 87 WE4 that was missing is that it had two broken rocker arms and three bent push rods. It also had a wiped out cam shaft. Thanks for all of your input. :cool:

Wow...and it was still running with bent pushrods? Were the rockers obviously broken, or did you have to pull the rocker shaft off to see it?