My 78 Malibu 10.61 @126

Sweeeet and easy pass Sean! looks effortless! I'm shooting for those times with my new combo in my limited. :)

Thanks, guys. :)

If you listen close on the launch you can tell I was babying it out of the hole. Those were some shakedown passes after major suspension upgrades. The TRZ anti-roll and some CSR shocks made a big diff in tuning.

I'm hoping to some day put a stage II in it, big turbo and run the numbers with the big boys. ;)

Great looking car and pass. I was amazed how much that track goes up at the end..

It has a 1/4 mile up-hill shut down on the 1/4 mile track. Even the big dogs dont have any trouble stopping for the third turn-out. I can practically coast to a stop at the second turn-out. :)

Thanks, guys. appreciate it. Like I said, as soon as the BBC goes, I'm thinking of a 3800 II, stage or a LSX. It will be turbo'd though. :)

malibu200-1.jpg

malibu191-1.jpg

Here's the combo on the car. I pulled this info off an old thread on another board. Hoping to lose 100# and hit a 10.40 this year....that's at 1410' elevation. I'd be at a low 10 at woodburn ds, at 100' elevation.

454 .060 over
GM forged crank, Eagle rods
GMPP alum rectal heads, 2.19/1.88 valves
SRP pistons, 12.4:1 final comp
Lunati solid 259/267, .625/.625, 110 LSA
Crane Gold roller rockers
CSR electric water pump
Vic Jr intake, Holley 950HP carb
Mallory comp 250 pump, comp 500 filter/regulator
MSD 6AL, blaster coil
GZMS vacuum pump
Th400, Cheetah SCS shifter
Hughes 4000 stall converter, manual/reverse valve body
Ford 9" rear, 4.10 gears, spool
rear disk brakes, BMR sway bar, BMR u/lca's
supercomp headers, ultraflow 12" bullets
10 point cage

I didn't race last season because I purchased a house. I made some changes for this season, and am hoping to get down to a 10.3x at my track.

We made the following:
-Strange procase, strange spool, pro gears.
-Iceman core support.
-Iceman tranny crossmember.
-rebuilt trans with Coan transbrake.
-PTC 5000 stall 8" converter.

On the 21st and 22nd I'm heading up to Woodburn Dragstrip to make some pre-season passes. The elevation there is 94' and the elevation at my track is 1410'. So I'm hoping to pick up a few tens just from the elevation change. Hoping to see a tenth or two at my track, as well....

I still have to install the tranny and get everything buttoned up. Will be starting the car on Tue.

I'll get some video clips up there. We're gunna have a great time!

Very nice car - why such a small cam? I have a 79 that's backhalfed looking to build a 540 with an ATI F2 blower

2 hot rods Sean? My Police Dept. needs to up their pay to keep up with you boys.:eek:

I like that Bu! Did you make that mess in the street under the car....:eek:

It's just water. Had JUST washed the car and backed her out in the cul-de-sac. :)

Very nice car - why such a small cam? I have a 79 that's backhalfed looking to build a 540 with an ATI F2 blower

Thanks!! Small cam? No, most people over-cam and over-carb. I am running my times on a small cam and 950HP carb, which wet flows 830 cfm, with Edel RPM heads. Many said I couldn't even run 10's, and best to date is 10.57@125mph, 1.46 60'. Less is more. I fully intend to run a 10.3x this year with the updates.

Hope you post up some pics of your 79!!!

2 hot rods Sean? My Police Dept. needs to up their pay to keep up with you boys.:eek:

Hey, brutha. I'm 40, single, never married. That's my secret. :wink: That, and I'm up to my arse in hock. I'm robbing peter to pay paul!!

Here's the car I sold to pay for the Bu and the GN....
Featured Chevelle - February 2003

Just got home from Woodburn and it was typical Willamette Valley weather. Cloudy as all heck and always the threat of rain. In fact we had sprinkles of rain three times, and three times they stopped the racing. The temp was around 48* and obviously the precip/humidity hovered at 100% most of the day. They did VHT the track a bit at the beginning but it was pretty grizzly. A lot of cars were spinning at the beginning of the day. The sun finally peeked out at around 1400, and we were able to get some quicker passes in.

The transbrake is a drug! I started at 3200 rpm's and ended up coming out of the hole at 4600 rpms, and still wasn't blowing the tires off. M/T 28x10.5 ET's. The best pass of the day was oddly the same as my best pass ever, but with a higher mph, and a worse 60' time. All of that on a CRAPPY day. This tells me I'm going to lay down a good number this year as soon as I get the new converter, transbrake, launch rpm optimized. Here was the best pass:

60': 1.479
330': 4.310
660': 6.704
660mph: 102.33
1000 et: 8.796
1/4': 10.577
1/4mph: 126.22

My previous best was in mineshaft air conditions in May, and was a 10.57@ 125, with a 1.46 60' time.

We got video of almost every pass, both in car and outside the car, and I will post that as soon as I have a chance to decompress. I did note the car doesn't 'hop' at the launch, where it will pop up in the air about 12" and then back down, but will now rise up and carry the tires out a ways, and then slowly lower down. It's a really nice, smooth launch and the car doesn't do anything funny on launch. The car launches at 4600rpm's, flashes to 5700, and takes off like a rocket.

There is plenty more in the combo, and plenty of tuning yet to do. All in all I would say I fully expect to see a 10.3x this year, as I had hoped!

I'll get video up asap, so you can see what I'm talking about.

As always, if you guys have some good suggestions for me I am always learning. Thank you very much!