Muscle Car Race - Buick kills Hemi!

Nick Micale

Tech Advisor
Staff member
A little known fact from the 1960's/1970's Muscle Car era was that the Buick GS was the fastest production car off the show room floor! :)

Most people think the Mopar Hemi ruled the roost, but after an ass-kicking by a 1970 Buick GS with a 455 V-8 put down a challenge from an arrogant Hemi owner with his 1970 GSX, a series of drag races sent him packing! :LOL:

The Hemi was "well prepped", and towed to the events, while the Buick was driven as this was to be street-driver, stock competition.

The Hemi owner became very ill-tempered after the Buick did a number on his GSX with a 12.30 vs. the Hemi's 13.03! ;)

Mainstream media, magazines mainly, were very reluctant to publish these results, and there was no internet to make this widely known.

For us Buick enthusiasts in that era, this was a great boost for our efforts, and being involved in Skylark performance and restoration then, I was especially elated even though I had raced a 426 Mopar earlier.

The newest issue issue of "Hot Rod" magazine has a one page reminder of this piece of Buick history.

The Buick Motorsports Group did a marvelous job in the 1960's through the 1980's to give us 2 of the best production "Muscle Cars" of all times!

I had a 72 GS clone and don't really miss it. It had twice the cubic inches of my GN and half the power. :)

I had a 72 GS clone and don't really miss it. It had twice the cubic inches of my GN and half the power. :)
Same here ,Mike. 464ci. 537 horse. Phil.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I have an old GS club VHS video that shows this race and I believe two more later on.

The Buick Motorsports Group did a marvelous job in the 1960's through the 1980's to give us 2 of the best production "Muscle Cars" of all times!
And it sure would be nice if they would awaken from their slumber and come out swinging once again. It's overdue. :punch:

The Buick 455 is THE motor when I think muscle. It also beat the 70 LS6 chevelle. Sorry chevy.

1392143951874.jpg

Sent from my ADR6350 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

I miss my 71 GS also, which I don't have anymore. (Sold after high school)The 455 with stg1 heads was a nice animal all to it's self. You can't really compare it to a turbo car. It's sound and power are definitely Buick. Ah some day again

I remember when the Buick and the mopar raced- the mopar guy was all cocky and said that Buicks ran like they were tied to a tree- boy did the Buick blow his doors off!!!

I don't think you were doing it right. :D

Greg you need to put that 67 together.
Nothing better than a bbb w/mickey Thompson headers idling, except at full song on the top end of the quarter. Does the term "window rattler" bring back any memories?
I miss my GS everyday and I still own it too. Gotta get it into the garage.
Love my Regal, too.

So is the Buick 455 better than the olds?

I thought the buicks didnt have that good of an oiling system? This is what I heard.

Heads and Block were actually different IIRC. The chevy boys mimicked the Buick head design for racing applications.

So let me get this straight, there are other cars than just Buicks:eek: and I thought they were just tow vehicles:rolleyes:

So is the Buick 455 better than the olds?

I thought the buicks didnt have that good of an oiling system? This is what I heard.
Depends on who you talk to. I don't recall any olds slaying a hemi, but as above, trishield is where it's at for me. The "new" ls stuff heads are way closer to Buick than any production Chevy stuff from the past.

Depends on who you talk to. I don't recall any olds slaying a hemi, but as above, trishield is where it's at for me. The "new" ls stuff heads are way closer to Buick than any production Chevy stuff from the past.

I thought the LS heads are close to the semi hemi ford heads?