Multiple shifter cable breakage?

Dr.drivability

9 second wannabee
I have had multiple shifter cable breakage problems. Seems to bind after awile and not want to go in park. Trans is new and allinterlock hardware is there. Any ideas, please! Dave

Instructions for the Quicksilver shifter I just put in were very clear that the cable must not be in any bind at either end. Which end is breaking?? I had to slightly enlarge the hole under the console for my installation.

how are the engine grounds? if there is a missing ground somewhere, it may be grounding thru the shifter, which has been known to cause cables to get weak and break.

I have had a couple experiences with stock GM packaged shift cables. The customer bought them off a non-GM source, and they were slightly different from an original GN cable that I had in stock. Yes, the first one worked, but not well, or for long, it broke. The second one was a nightmare and never did work properly.

The trans in this specific GN had been replaced by a local shop. The bracket on the trans was different, the hole for the cable was slightly larger.

When I consulted with our resident G Body parts expert, Brian said they were for a Monte Carlo.

After more than 20 years dealing with GN's, this was a new "first" for me, and NOT a pleasant 2 hours. :mad:

Check with Brian directly if you see this could be your problem, as he will have the CORRECT part. :)