Multimeter recommendations

Depends on what you're using it for. General household and automotive i have a craftsman one. Works fine. For work i have a green one from home depot also good. All in the $30 range. Craftsman can be had for less when there's a holiday sale. Also I've learned w craftsman see something you want in store look it up on their site and if it's less they price match. I've saved quite a few dollars on things

Nobody hates a Fluke, just a bit pricey. Many cheaper meters have very slow continuity reaction- it's maddening.
Personally hate autoranging.
Been buying B&K for work but I don't much like the latest ones.
This older one is still quite good:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/2860A/BK2860A-ND/227488
If you want something for above 220VAC interrupt capacity arc-over becomes important, most cheap meters inc above won't do.

cheap meters tend to be crappy at measuring low ohms so if that is how you check grounds beware

I use a Fluke 87, best multimeter I ever owned. They are a little pricey but worth the money in my opinion.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

+1 on the Craftsman for automotive work. Especially since there's no hydraulic fluid to leak out like their bloody floor jacks. :confused:

Overkill I know but this is what got and has proved useful when I probe and need the display eye level or done have a buddy helping

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 111
I have an old Fluke 77 from the 80's that's still kicking. One of the reasons I got it is treated properly it will probably/hopefully be the first and last one I buy.

Last edited:
I have an old Fluke 77 from the 80's that's still kicking. One of the reasons I got is treated properly it will probably/hopefully be the first and last one I buy.

I have a Fluke 75 I think from the early 90's that's still working well. Can't go wrong with Fluke. If I recall correctly, you can get Fluke from Sears.
AG.

I have a fluke 87 also but I have left it in the sun a few times too many and one corner of the screen is dark. Still works flawlessly. I also have a Harbor Freight Special, the loaded green one with temp probes and stuff. With the monthly mailer of a 20% coupon it comes out to about $19. The audible continuity is priceless for wire troubleshooting. Whatever meter you decide to buy make sure you get some long leads ( or make some up) with the alligator clips.

Check pawn shops, the local Pawn Mart here always have an end of month sale and you can make an offer.

Fluke 87 also. I believe it's actually still listed as a gm essential tool in the dealership. I know some guys that prefer the Blue Point dmm.

Ive had 2 used Fluke 87s for a while(15yrs) finally went out... I bought a new clamp meter style so I can check capacitors/on my home A/C At the Job (I'm an Electrician) we work with 600V ac.
I also wanted an ampmeter for DC most just do Ac amperage but with this clamp meter I can even use it on my Cars alternator to check current which is what I really like. Does Diodes, caps well here you look at all it do for 1/2 the price almost for a Fluke its
an Amprobe 52 NAV $229 at : Test Equipment Depot.... got it in the mail pretty quick like 4 days I think on the East coast reg price $299

http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/amprobe/clampmeters/acdc52nav.htm