Muffler selection

buddy

Hi guys,
I'm cleaning up my undercarriage and would like to replace my mufflers. I have a older kenne bell stainless catback setup that shined up real nice but the mufflers are nasty. What brand do you guys recommend. I basically want as loud as I can without sounding raspy. The cat is deleted and I have a cutout also. Thanks for the advice!!!!
Rich

How about some dyno max ultraflows they are the best flowing mufflers out there. I just so happen to have the same system.

I have them in stainless and thinking about switching to larger piping.

Yes mine are offset offset ...standard size 14"x10"x4". I'm no sure if they're 2.5 or 2.25. Have to measure.

How about some dyno max ultraflows they are the best flowing mufflers out there. I just so happen to have the same system.

I have them in stainless and thinking about switching to larger piping.
Cool thanks !! Sounds pretty aggressive??

It's middle of the road aggressive. Throatier and deeper I think. Some people don't like them because they aren't really that loud. I like things dead quiet and Ive always used them for performance....

O just put magnaflows 3" straight through on. Love them!! Deep and no crackling at WOT

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228693

please don't take too much offense T what, but please don't suggest anyone putting magnaflow POS's on any turbo car. If you do a little research there are guys that have seen some boost loss on this board (therefore restriction).

Maybe not dynomaxs, but anything but magnaflows unless you can ensure they are correctly made before you put them on.

Oh, is dynomax the only muffler co that actually puts flow numbers out?

I know.. i'm very very biased on this subject.

Sound and drone determines what muffler to use. If you want quiet yet powerful there is only one choice and that is a three muffler system. If you can live with the normal HIDEOUS drone with EVERY dual muffler system available, then buy a walker ultra flow to replace what you have currently. No one .makes the three muffler system and it'll require some elaborate fabrication to install. If anyone tells you that their XYZ system does not drone.........they have NEVER ridden in a car with no drone @2,200 RPM. And I have spent more time trying to eliminate the drone than anyone EVER has on the Turbo Buick. I have literally spent years trying to solve it. I wrapped the entire exhaust system from port to tail pipe. That did nothing. We tried Buick Riviera mufflers. That helped but killed performance. Dennis Hogan came up with the three muffler system after I tried everything to kill it I could. Thankfully Dennis had the perseverance to to try everything. The cross flow Ultra flow behind the rear end in the stock location solved the problem. Dennis HATED the drone these cars made. No more. He now runs 9.97 @ 136 with three mufflers on pump gas and alcohol (2.5" system). He runs on the street as he runs at the track. Turn the boost up and add C-16_and it would run a lot faster.

Dynomax Ultraflows here. I have made just north of 500 Rwhp through the exhaust system, Low 10's at 130 mph. I think that they work, and have ran it with an open DP with NO E.T. Gain, and .5 mph gain. I will not say it really is faster with it uncorked, and plan to run my Stage engine with the same exhaust. 4 inch DP and dual 2.5 pipes.

The Board was reset . If the original poster is wanting something louder though. There are some edelbrocks that work good too.

Dynomaxs flow 2x as much as magnaflows according to their posted data on their site for 2.5" muffs

Sound and drone determines what muffler to use. If you want quiet yet powerful there is only one choice and that is a three muffler system. If you can live with the normal HIDEOUS drone with EVERY dual muffler system available, then buy a walker ultra flow to replace what you have currently. No one .makes the three muffler system and it'll require some elaborate fabrication to install. If anyone tells you that their XYZ system does not drone.........they have NEVER ridden in a car with no drone @2,200 RPM. And I have spent more time trying to eliminate the drone than anyone EVER has on the Turbo Buick. I have literally spent years trying to solve it. I wrapped the entire exhaust system from port to tail pipe. That did nothing. We tried Buick Riviera mufflers. That helped but killed performance. Dennis Hogan came up with the three muffler system after I tried everything to kill it I could. Thankfully Dennis had the perseverance to to try everything. The cross flow Ultra flow behind the rear end in the stock location solved the problem. Dennis HATED the drone these cars made. No more. He now runs 9.97 @ 136 with three mufflers on pump gas and alcohol (2.5" system). He runs on the street as he runs at the track. Turn the boost up and add C-16_and it would run a lot faster.
You need to try the DynoMax VT mufflers...

Bryan

You need to try the DynoMax VT mufflers...

Bryan
Do you know the part number for the dynomax VTs you have? I have the Pypes exhaust with Race Pros and they are stainless steel with an offset inlet and center outlet. I want to find the VTs in stainless with the same configuration as the Race Pros. Do you have any problems with the valve rattling at idle? I'm still on the fence on these but would like a quieter interior.

Do you know the part number for the dynomax VTs you have? I have the Pypes exhaust with Race Pros and they are stainless steel with an offset inlet and center outlet. I want to find the VTs in stainless with the same configuration as the Race Pros. Do you have any problems with the valve rattling at idle? I'm still on the fence on these but would like a quieter interior.
17156 is the part number on mine. 14" body, offset-center 2.5" . Every once in a while I do get a rattle from the valves. i have had mine since 2010 and i understand that they have made a change to the design although I do not know that to be a fact. I love mine.....

Bryan

phoneguy, i'm really interested in the VT's.. by chance have you done back to back dump open runs or dyno runs?

phoneguy, i'm really interested in the VT's.. by chance have you done back to back dump open runs or dyno runs?
Actually I wanted too in BG but didnt get the chance. Never got a chance at Richard Clarks dyno as the motor started knocking on the dyno...:(.

I had some boost issues in BG so it wouldnt have been a real test with the car being inconsistent ...

Bryan