MT DR fitment - GTA wheel - 295/50/16 - '87 GN

Blazer406

Mechanical Engineer
Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial Tire
P295/50R16 (28'' x 11.5'' - 16'')

When I first got my GTA "Fronts" ..... they had BFG 255/50/16 Drag Radials on them.......On the stock GTA wheels these tires rubbed occasionally on the frame rail. I think I could run spacers.... like 5/8" or maybe 3/4" or so.... with rolled fender lips.... and get the larger sticky MT DR tires above on there...... without tubbing my car.....

Anybody try this tire on a non-boxed frame GN?
If so... what width wheel? .... and what BS did it take?

I would like to see this also , I they would look sweet!:eek:Maybe I should buy a set and see?

I'm in the process of doing this. I have 16x9.5 GTA wheels from gbodyparts. I was told that the 295-50-16 would fit... It didn't, or at least the MT ET street didn't. It looks like I will have to use a spacer. I'm also going to change springs and shocks on the rear, as with age, I'm guessing it could be a part of the problem. I will say this; the tire looks awesome under the car! I'll try to update when I'm done.

I asked the same question a couple months ago and no replies so I ordered a pair of m&h racemasters 275x55 series 16's and had rubbing issiues on drivers side only so I put my 255 mt's back on

Yes i have stock gta rims 4 fronts 16x8's but if u ordered a wider rim wim the correct back spacing it should fit with no rubbing

I think what it boils down to is that the MT is 28 tall, while the BFG radial TA in this size is 26 tall. The offset of the wheel is correct, I guess my tire is just too tall. While the spacer takes care of the issue, I want to change shocks and springs. Mine are original so they need to be changed anyway. My car has a great stance, but its because of the sagging springs.. Oh well, i'll make it happen!

I'm in the process of doing this. I have 16x9.5 GTA wheels from gbodyparts. I was told that the 295-50-16 would fit... It didn't, or at least the MT ET street didn't. It looks like I will have to use a spacer. I'm also going to change springs and shocks on the rear, as with age, I'm guessing it could be a part of the problem. I will say this; the tire looks awesome under the car! I'll try to update when I'm done.

I have that size on one of my car. Guys keep in mind factory springs sag out from just sitting. You can't run 20+ year old suspension on these cars.

That's pretty much what I was thinking with the suspension. The springs will be here tomorrow, and the shocks are ready to go on as well. I should have it sorted out soon.

I put the new springs and shocks on the car, and still have the same rubbing issues on the driver side only. The passenger side is VERY close, but doesn't rub. I will just use my spacers and call it a day. I went with the stock rear spring, and I'm glad I did. Once these new springs settle, the car will sit perfectly with this 295/50/16 MT under it. I will get a photo up when I get a chance.

come on guys post some pictures.. i think i wanna get the same size but would like to see how much diffrent the look is. i currently have 275/55/16 and think theyre just to tall for my taste.

come on guys post some pictures.. i think i wanna get the same size but would like to see how much diffrent the look is. i currently have 275/55/16 and think theyre just to tall for my taste.

+1:biggrin:

Any updates on pics. I'm really thinking about ordering these if I can get them under the car without having to do anything major. I've ran 295/50/15's on the rear without rubbing issues just wanna checkout how it goes with the inch taller tire.

I just got mine on. 295/50-16 on GTA fronts. Here is a pic. Have not driven it much yet but so far so good. No frame mods or lip mods(yet):eek: They are real close on the inside. I am not running a spacer either:D

The car is running on all original, unmodified suspension. I do want to lower it a bit if these big meats will allow. especially the front:cool:

Attachments

• tires 001.jpg
    tires 001.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 1,259
  • tires 003.jpg
    tires 003.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,197
  • tires 002.jpg
    tires 002.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 1,191
Gold rims on an 87 Gold T

Took these yesterday. I really need to get that car inside !

Attachments

• GOLD GTA RIMS 10 001.jpg
    GOLD GTA RIMS 10 001.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,194
  • GOLD GTA RIMS 10 002.jpg
    GOLD GTA RIMS 10 002.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 1,213