Moving to California, what to expect with my 87 GN

Wow, this went really off topic.
I live in North San Diego County, my car needed a cat and plugs and then burned cleaner than new.
I was advised they don't like TE series turbos, but had less issues with down pipes or AFPR.
It all depends on the tech, I have had people tell me that it was illegal to put a turbo on my car.
They were referring to the stock turbo and exhaust manifolds...

I registered a TR in California for many years. GN1 heads, big turbo, etc, no emissions hardware. You need to know someone in these cases. I live in WA now and TRs due to their age are exempt here.

But, if you can make it appear stock to an untrained eye and it will pass the sniffer test you shouldn't have any trouble. Most techs will be unfamiliar with your car. Fail though and you will be required to go to a test only station and your car is marked. Either way, it's a a pain to go through this every 2 years. I don't miss that.

Very interesting read... glad I'm in Texas where the TR's are exempt now being over 25 yrs old.

I wonder about these Cali Techs do they really know what they are looking at with a TR?

Do they whip out a manual telling them what to look for?

There are so many different cars it would be hard to tell what is factory and what is not? Ya'll spoke of aluminum heads, I have those but you can't really tell they are so covered up by everything else. The casual observer never even realizes it.

And are the Techs younger than the TR most of the time if so that might explain it some. With only two years of the IC setup that is not very many cars. Some techs may go forever and never see a TR.

If you get in the weeds with emissions , go see Lou Czarnota in Lake Forest.

He knows what it takes to make them pass, even if they are modified.

I registered a TR in California for many years. GN1 heads, big turbo, etc, no emissions hardware. You need to know someone in these cases. I live in WA now and TRs due to their age are exempt here.

But, if you can make it appear stock to an untrained eye and it will pass the sniffer test you shouldn't have any trouble. Most techs will be unfamiliar with your car. Fail though and you will be required to go to a test only station and your car is marked. Either way, it's a a pain to go through this every 2 years. I don't miss that.

Please explain how your "car is marked" ? :rolleyes: It isn't a big deal if you fail. You simply make repairs and retest. We failed a GN just the other day, gave him his numbers, he made some changes and came back a few days later to retest, and passed.

If it were me I would try and keep my TR registered in the state that I'm leaving. Use a family or a friends address.. But that is me.

Pondering thoughts. Man am I glad we dont have these damn tests in Ohio. Man am I glad I dont live in cali. All the crap I have on my car....geesh..may as well flush all that down the drain. This is what it would be like if the EPA gets their way with our cars. I dont see it passing as I have a "foot in" with some of the things going on to stop the actions. It would literally close the doors on alot of places that make their living on performance parts. I guess I am glad I have 50 year plates on my car!!

If it were me I would try and keep my TR registered in the state that I'm leaving. Use a family or a friends address.. But that is me.

This will work, but only for about a year or so. He'll eventually get a letter from the State. Had a roommate do that. He was found out.

I have a guy that works for me that has been doing that for several years. His parents still live where he is from and his car would be subject to the sniff test here in TX. Not that it wouldn't pass he just doesn't have to fool with it.