Moving to Asia, hoping to take car with me

GNandGS

I'm still here!
Moving this summer to Kuala Lumpur Malaysia... it would make me really happy to export/import my GN but I dont know if that will happen yet. Gonna try = spend $$

My wife is of course FROM there and after giving Kansas a TRY for a while and realizing other areas would only delay things, we are giving Malaysia (MY) a try.

Taken from my board HERE, I posted:

Q: Wow, what for?
A: Wife wants to, and since we already "tried" Kansas I have to be fair.

Q: Sounds like you dont want to.
A: I would RATHER not, but some aspects are exciting too. Good and bad I guess.

Q: Can I have your car?
A: No!

Q: Selling the cars then I guess? No more Buick!
A: Wrong. I hope. I havent given up on the idea of shipping one over. Been looking into that but likely have to wait until a return visit.

Q: Sounds expensive!
A: Yup. Road tax on imported cars with large engines is HIGH. Even local cars with "big" engines are pricey. In ~5 years I get to be a classic and the road tax is reduced or free I'll not be using it for daily transport so that may help.

Q: Which one?
A: Ol' Blue would be exempted from some $ but would take more to get ready. Cant import unsightly cars. Prolly need to pass the 10' test. It also has more of everything to do for a tropical climate (A/C!!)

Q: Because we will miss you, do you plan to come back for visits?
A: Yearly

Q You cant take everything. Is anything for sale?
A: Yup, TOOLS! Computer stuff, maybe some furniture, etc etc. House? Not just yet though.

Q: When is the party?
A: I dunno...

Q: GWTRA?
A: Its up for grabs. Domain renewal should be in June. If you want it, contact me privately.

If Malaysia is anything like Singapore you are going to have a hard time getting the car over there. You cant have ANY upgrades on your car in Singapore so, i really hope that its not the same for Malaysia. Good luck man i hope you can take it.

abesgn said:
I wouldn't have asked any of those questions :wink: But happy and safe trails :)

My sense of humor (?) leaked through on that. Sorry! <grin> Written for a audience local to me doesnt help either.

Thanks guys! Apparently after your initial inspection the car is never looked at again. Hard to spot mods in the states, much less elsewhere! Or so I hope.

Anyone with car shipping experience?

I'd leave the GN in the states stored in a dry climate. If you have family here, I'm sure you'll back for the holidays, so you can enjoy the GN for a few days a year. Pick up a local car to cruise in over there. Who knows how long you'll be overseas ;)

It may come to that but really if Im only gonna drive it a couple days per year it might be best to sell. :(

Gimme a price Shawn, I have or can locally acquire most of what that car needs. Not trying to pressure you or anything, hell i'll even let you drive it again if you come back. :D ;)

bob

singapore is very restrictive on everything. i dont think its the same in malaysia. the bigger problem i see it that a lot of the roads there are small, the people drive like morons and i believe they still use leaded gas. i know nothing about their import laws, i have been there and can honestly say i didnt like it much, but i wasnt there long and i didnt see much, did see the towers, but they werent finished and we couldnt go in. navy. anyway good luck with everything, it will be very expensive to ship, but if you can get it there it will definitly be unique.

If you need a mover or a car shipper my wife may be able to help you....

I try to take some comfort in knowing drivers in India are worse...

To be clear, this wouldnt be a daily driver. Some roads are narrow but thats minor, its the PARKING.

What makes it tempting to take the car is that "fun" cars there are pricey. ALL non Malaysian cars are considered "import" and local cars are um, not fun.

I was thinking a Cooper-S. Its small so whitey (thats me) could get around the parking garages there and to find parking in Bangsar where the inlaws live. Daily transport in a big car with left side steering would be nasty!

The problem is, for the cost of a used Cooper or Supra I can import my car! Then buy some crap car for daily use. Moneywise its a wash. After a car is 25 years old and has spent 3 or 5 years registered for the road, it can be exempted from some of the fees (or all?) as a classic.

Once out of the Capital the roads are no problem - "cruises" there are not often IN the city proper.

Aftermarket turbo installs etc are very popular in MY. Whats weird, is many cars there (in the car guy world) remind me of imports here - but I'll be the import if this works out.

Bob gets first dibs.

jy211 said:
If you need a mover or a car shipper my wife may be able to help you....

PM coming!

I'll add that this isnt something I can do later if I sell the car now. 3 years of ownership required to import a vehicle.

Side note: this is a MY forum Ive been lurking in...

http://www.zerotohundred.com/
http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/forumdisplay.php?f=88

"Drag Battle" pics http://www.kydrives.net/gallery/v/SepangDragBattle/?g2_GALLERYSID=348d6ff1a03642ebc3c793f406d4f640

1st of all you would not be in this situation if, when you came back to the states with your new bride( assuming you met and/or married there)
you dont bring her to Kansas,what the he!! were you thinking ..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :wink:

Hey! I like Kansas! No emmissions check! <grin> Turns out there arent any cities in the States large enough to make her happy - that I would want to live in. Now *I* am rolling the eyes.

We first met at Pittsburg State many moons ago but I did marry in MY. Bored? Wedding pics

Gonna be homesick. No doubt about it... if it wasnt for the whacked traffic I might have been tempted to give up early and sell everything for a Harley (they have them!) - feel homesick, go for a ride. Bleh, I dont wanna think about that anymore this afternoon. I'll check back tonight.

I was in KL myself, wouldnt want to drive my GN there thats for sure. Man that place never sleeps, and is always noisy. The markets are kinda cool though.

But it is hot, man it's hot. The one day I went sight seeing it must've been 34 C at least, with all the cars and concrete maybe more. Im pretty good with the heat but man I was running to an AC building in about 20 minutes.

At least you dont have to go far for a tropical beach. Yuo can get 3 or 4 day spa getaways for peanuts at the right time of year.

good luck... :cool:

Wow 18 pages of pics... :) Looks like a fun time. I can see why she would mis home,lots of attendees at the wedding...

I had just under 300 at the evening reception! Luckily I wasnt expected to know them all. I dont know how many showed up for the actual wedding... typical Malaysian way is to show up late!

There was the wedding, the lunch reception, then the evening reception. It took all day... another thing I thought would never happen. Some pics were from a photo shoot and some were from the registration (legal marriage). Of JUST the wedding, I think several hundred photos were taken :eek:

It had been stepped on, but this pic is colored rice layed out in a pattern at the entrance to the reception: cool rice

Try to be kind, I put the pictures up as a good way to archive then share with others that we wouldnt otherwise be able to (relatives etc).

Here I am about to cut the "cake" nobody bothered to tell me was FAKE

Humid! I think I'll miss weather changes. Other than rain, its pretty much sunny & 93degF every day. Every frickin day. I can relate to Kevin James in that I could sweat peeling an orange - but Im not that big a guy. I sweat a lot! lol.

Just adding my 2 cents..but if was told I couldn't import my TB and I had to sell, I just wouldn't move out of the country. Nuff said. I'm very very stubborn too.